Elliott ID

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
That is an interesting movement. I've never seen a weight driven movement with a removable front sub plate. Those are some pretty chunky hammer heads! The plates also seem thinner than the more common Elliot movements, which to me suggests a later movement.

Could we see some pictures of the backplate of the movement? It might help with dating.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
An interesting clock. The case is virtually the same as one shown in the reference book for clocks made in England and Wales of this period, it is numbered and houses a G&J (Gillett & Johnson) two train weight driven grandmother clock chiming on rod gongs. The movement in that clock isn't however the same and is more like one made shortly after Elliott took over the domestic clock production of G&J in 1923 but it is neither as both are two train. I couldn't find the movement of this clock in the aforementioned reference book but it's late though it does contain an Elliott 3 train weight driven chiming movement. So I'd go with Mr. Elliott met Miss Gillett-Johnson but whatever it is of the best quality from this period.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Looks like an F. W. Elliott clock going by the smaller size and 'An Elliott Clock' signature on dial. Am inclined to say it was made in the 1930's as all F. W. Elliott grandmother clocks from the postwar years I'm aware of had rod chime movements.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I had another look in the reference book and I'd missed an illustration of the back plate of an FW Elliott 3 train weight driven tubular chiming movement from a 1951 brochure which has 4 hammers parallel to the back plate and is very similar indeed to the movement of this clock though the hammers look shorter in length though that may be the illustration. The movement is described as similar to a JJ Elliott version sold by Grimshaw & Baxter which is shown in the same book but from a much earlier date. The case of this clock is a G&J one though FWE also took over G&J's case making business and the case is said, with minor modifications, to have still been in production until the 1980s. Unfortunately the mechanism housing the 4 tubular gongs is not shown.

So I think that appears to identify this clock though pictures of the rear of the movement and any markings may help along with plate dimensions.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayjayclox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool