Elliott 9 Tube Tall Case Clock Weight

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by devore, Jun 2, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. devore

devore Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I recently purchase an Elliott 9 tube tall case clock. The original chime weight is an incorrect replacement. Based on another Elliott 9 tube clock, which I had the owner provide dimensions and weight, the chime weight dimensions should be approximately 11-3/4" tall x 3-1/8" wide and weigh 31 lbs.

Note: the time & strike weights with my clock appear to be original to the clock. The time weight is 8-9/16" tall x 2-1/2" wide and weighs 15 lbs 2 oz. The strike weight weight is 9-1/8" tall x 2-3/4" wide and weighs 19 lbs 7.2 oz (dimensions are the brass case only and exclude the top hook eyelet).

A couple of questions for you guys:

1. Would all Elliott 9 tube clocks have the same set of weights (ie. dimensions & weights)?

2. Are the dimensions & weight above correct for an Elliott 9 tube chime weight?

3. Does anyone know of the availability of an Elliott 9 tube chime weight?

4. Is there anyone who makes replacement weights?

I have attached a picture of the clock & a picture of the weights (the center weight pictured is the incorrect replacement weight).

Thank you in advance for your time.

Bill DeVore

Elliott.jpg Weights.jpg

2. Dick Feldman

Dick Feldman Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Bill,

I do not own an Elliott clock, but have worked on a few over the years. I checked my records and found no notes on weight size and/or models.

When I searched Google, I found someone in the Eastern USA and another in Penn. that claim to be experts with the repair of Elliott clocks. You might ask your questions here:
    http://www.midcoastclock.com/elliott.html
    Or here;
    http://www.nationalclockrepair.com/contact_us.php

I am not associated with and am not familiar with either of the repair places.

Best Regards,

Dick

3. devore

devore Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Thank you Dick. I just emailed the folks at MidCoast. I spoke w/ Murray at National Clock yesterday. He says he can have a custom Elliott chime weight made for....$1600. A bit pricey, I think.

Surely there is someone in the US who can make replacement tall case clock weights. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help!

Bill

4. svenedin

svenedin Registered User

Jan 28, 2010
    Male
    Doctor of Medicine (Military)
    Surrey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a similar clock not by Elliott but by Smith and Sons of Clerkenwell, London (8 tube with hours on a huge coiled gong). I assume yours is Westminster and Whittington chime? The chime weight in my clock is enormous in comparison to the time and strike weights. You say your weight is an incorrect replacement but does it run the chime? It looks like a good match aesthetically and if the chimes are not running properly this could be more a question of the clock needing an overhaul rather than the weight being too light. It doesn't look like a particularly recent replacement so it may have run the chimes satisfactorily in the past. If you use a weight that is too heavy this will cause problems.

I don't know about the States but I'm sure there are people in the UK who could make a new weight for you if you knew the correct specifications. I would not assume that all Elliot 9 tubes are the same in this regard.

Smith Dial.jpg Smith Weights.jpg

5. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    I got an Elliott which has massive chime weight, massive means real massive 25 KG plus. I pointed it out on another thread here and was informed that early Elliotts had large weights.
    I hope your problem is taken care of now. However, the price quote to you seems preposterous. It would hardly be half of that, if atall!

6. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    why do you think it’s a replacement? looks like it matches to me.

how about more detailed photos showing tops, bottoms and hooks on all three weights?

7. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this thread bruce....is 6 yrs old.....! however, posthumously, it does look fairly original in the pic.

8. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i stand by my comments. :cool:

seriously, i really need to look at the thread dates... i get alert emails when someone posts and got distracted by the quote for $1600 to make a weight.