Elisha Manross OG clock

jdubois

NAWCC Member
Mar 7, 2021
Massachusetts
Country
Region
Ok, while I wait for my tall case clock to arrive (comes tomorrow!), maybe this is more interesting than my Ansonia schoolhouse clock? Found it at a antiques co-op this afternoon for cheap money. It's a bit beat up, poor finish, a lot of the reverse painting is gone, and the pendulum rod was jammed into the bottom of the case and is now bent up. But the clock seemed interesting, and after fiddling for a half hour or so I got it to run. The most interesting part to me was the inscriptions on the door frame from what I presume were from people who serviced the clock. Looks to me like 1807 and then either 1847 or 1947. But 1807 seems too early. He'd have been 15 years old in 1807. Maybe it's 1887?

My other questions:

There are two different sized weights. Why the different sizes? Which side wants the lighter weight?

There clearly was something screwed down above the weight pulleys on the top of the case. Any idea what that would have been?

case.jpg label.jpg movement.jpg 47date.jpg
pulley.jpg pulley.jpg

Reactions: Ralph and PatH

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I think they were formed sheet metal of your choice, for dust covers?

It would be interesting to know the journey it took to arrive in the Houston area from Bristol.

Ralph

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Ok, while I wait for my tall case clock to arrive (comes tomorrow!), maybe this is more interesting than my Ansonia schoolhouse clock? Found it at a antiques co-op this afternoon for cheap money. It's a bit beat up, poor finish, a lot of the reverse painting is gone, and the pendulum rod was jammed into the bottom of the case and is now bent up. But the clock seemed interesting, and after fiddling for a half hour or so I got it to run. The most interesting part to me was the inscriptions on the door frame from what I presume were from people who serviced the clock. Looks to me like 1807 and then either 1847 or 1947. But 1807 seems too early. He'd have been 15 years old in 1807. Maybe it's 1887?

My other questions:

There are two different sized weights. Why the different sizes? Which side wants the lighter weight?

There clearly was something screwed down above the weight pulleys on the top of the case. Any idea what that would have been?

View attachment 648876 View attachment 648877 View attachment 648878 View attachment 648879
View attachment 648881 View attachment 648880
The heavier weight goes on strike chain. Lighter on time chain.

Reactions: jdubois

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
These clocks use cords for the weights, not chain. Not trying to split hairs, just trying to keep the nomenclature straight.

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
These clocks use cords for the weights, not chain. Not trying to split hairs, just trying to keep the nomenclature straight.
Sorry i meant time and strike train not chain. Wasn't referring to what they hang on

jdubois

NAWCC Member
Mar 7, 2021
Massachusetts
Country
Region
I have a heck of time trying to keep all the nomenclature right myself, especially moving between clocks and watches which seem to often have different names for the same things. So I appreciate the splitting of hairs!

BTW, I like your last name :)

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
The heavier weight goes on strike chain. Lighter on time chain.
Actually, the heavier (larger) weight goes on the time (right) side. That way, if you forget to wind the clock, the time train weight will bottom out first, stopping the clock before the strike train can get out of synch. If you read the label very carefully, it states which side the weights go on.
Mike

Reactions: jdubois

jdubois

NAWCC Member
Mar 7, 2021
Massachusetts
Country
Region
Darned if you aren't right about the label! I thought I'd looked and it wasn't there, but I just went back and read it and there it is: "The light weight on the strike side of the Clock"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdminter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre