Elisha Hotchkiss Jr. Pillar and Splat Wooden Movement Question

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
Sorry, I have been tied up with Christmas stuff...

It looks like the escape wheel is slipping off/over the front edge of the right side anchor pallet and you are not getting full power. Can you move the verge away from the face a little? Maybe shim it? The right side also looks like it's had some bends and rebends - in other words, it doesn't look too good. But, if you get the escape wheel to stay on the anchor pallet, you will have a lot more power and it should run.

1609032947240.png
Tom

Watchie Logan

Nov 28, 2020
Country

It looks like the escape wheel is slipping off/over the front edge of the right side anchor pallet and you are not getting full power. Can you move the verge away from the face a little? Maybe shim it? The right side also looks like it's had some bends and rebends - in other words, it doesn't look too good. But, if you get the escape wheel to stay on the anchor pallet, you will have a lot more power and it should run.

View attachment 629174
Tom
Tom
Thanks, I will try and do that, I also have a new pallet that I could try as well. One step at a time.
Bill

Watchie Logan

Nov 28, 2020
Country

View attachment 629174
Tom
Tom
I tried putting a shim to move the verge forward a bit and there was no change. Just as an observation, with my limited experience with troubleshooting movements, when I take off the pendulum and rod and just leave the verge, the movement usually
runs extremely fast. Not the case with this movement, hardly moves at all. Seems to me logically, that it should. Is it possible that I'm using incorrect weights? The time side weight is 2.15 and the strike is 2.9.

Bill

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
Bill,
You may have hit on the problem. You need more like 3 1/2 lbs on the time train. Try swapping the weights and see how it runs with 2.9 lbs. It may struggle to strike with 2.15 lbs, but you're trying to diagnose lack of power on the time train.
Mike

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
The clock may or may not run well without the pendulum on. It might be significantly out of beat even if the clock was in beat when the pendulum bob is on. That is not usually a good indicator or much.

Can you post another video? Does the shim add friction?

Tom

Watchie Logan

Nov 28, 2020
Country
The clock may or may not run well without the pendulum on. It might be significantly out of beat even if the clock was in beat when the pendulum bob is on. That is not usually a good indicator or much.

Can you post another video? Does the shim add friction?

Tom
Tom
Here is another video of the clock running after a couple of adjustments. It amazes me what a difference there is in the pendulum swing.

Watchie Logan

Nov 28, 2020
Country
It looks better on the right pallet, but I don't see much recoil meaning the pendulum does not get a good push. How long does it run now?

Tom
It's been running for 2 days. Like I mentioned, the pendulum swing is dramatically less than it was. If it runs for a couple more days I'll put it back in the case and reset.

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
The other thing I only now noticed in the first video is that the spools are on treaded screws, and even if not threaded there will be a lot more friction on a larger diameter shafts than on the pulleys with smaller wire shafts in the case.

The change in the pendulum swing is probably because the anchor pallets are farther from the escape wheel teeth tips. The closer they are, the more the swing, but at some point, they will not release when switching from one pallet to the other. Generally, the less clearance the better as you get the full engagement and power transfer.

Disclaimer - I am not an escapement expert.

Tom

Watchie Logan

Nov 28, 2020
Country
The other thing I only now noticed in the first video is that the spools are on treaded screws, and even if not threaded there will be a lot more friction on a larger diameter shafts than on the pulleys with smaller wire shafts in the case.

The change in the pendulum swing is probably because the anchor pallets are farther from the escape wheel teeth tips. The closer they are, the more the swing, but at some point, they will not release when switching from one pallet to the other. Generally, the less clearance the better as you get the full engagement and power transfer.

Disclaimer - I am not an escapement expert.

Tom
I'm certainly not an expert in any phase of this work, but I am learning with yours and others advice and I do thank you. I'm happy if a clock this old runs at all! Happy new Year!

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Haven't seen any recent updates on this clock, but I have recently came across the same clock that I'm currently working on and found this post.

In you last video you mentioned the pendulum swing difference. One thing I notice is a wider gap in the crutch at the point the pendulum rod goes through. That's probably part of the difference in the narrower swing now.

Any updates on this clock?

Watchie Logan

Nov 28, 2020
Country
I wonder if the OP has stopped following or given up. There are several obvious issues that need to be addressed with this movement but I won't go into detail if he has gone.

RC
Hi, sorry it took so long to answer, but have been out of commission with hip surgery. This clock runs very well and keeps good time, tends to gain time, but that is the only issue.

Reactions: Dave T

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Good to know. Hope your hip surgery is a thing of the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre