Elisha Elisha

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by RJSoftware, May 13, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey all;

Won these 2 Elisha ogs (see ebay number below).

Do these 2 Elisha clocks look same?

I am hoping I can use the more complete one as a guide to restore the less complete one. Then maybe sell it to recoup money.

The door is going to take some work. Need contact info on old wavy glass.

Hope the movement's are both good. Labels look good. Dials look good. Columns, can't tell.

Also wondering what is going on with the glass tablet on the more complete one...?

Your opinions/comments/criticisms all apreciated.
    RJ

Here's links. (easier :) )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110124231683

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200106358481

2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RJ,

Those are a couple of nice project clocks! I love woodworks clocks. I think they are under-appreciated, and undervalued.

It looks to me as though the glass has been painted gold. If it's old glass, you should be able to remove the paint and do something more appropriate.

Jeremy

3. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RJ
    A good find indeed - I wish we could find things like that here. :?|
    Keep us posted.

4. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, I love the woodworks clocks too.

I love the Ogees, but woodworks seems to be the cream of that crop. These look genuine too.

Anybody got info links to Elisha. I was wondering his history and about how old the clocks are.

Thanks for good words!
    RJ

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RJ, from Spilttler's and Bailey, American Clockmakers and Watchmakers:
    "Hotchkiss, Elisha, Jr: Born 1787, died 1882. Burlington, Bristol and Hartford, Conn. Ca: 1830-1838. Extensive manufacturer of wooden and later brass movement clocks. Early clocks Ca 1830 marked Bristol, but moved to Burlington in 1831. Factory building on Hotchkiss Road, Burlington and foundations can still be seen. Went bankrupt in 1834. In 1849 went to Hartford where he died in 1882 and is buried."
    Sounds like your clocks likely made between 1831 and 1834. Must have been a slow week at the goodwill, RJ:thumb:

6. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    good luck with them RJ... i was gonna bid on them, but then i acquired a pratt and frost on sunday... so there went my woodworks budget :D

7. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Nice clocks and I agree with Jeremy,much underalued and appreciated.These are "living" remnants of the history of the clock making industry in the United States.
    looking forward to your progress.
    Regards,
    Bruce

8. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I love wood movement clocks also, and agree they seem underpriced for such an important part of our clock history. Not to be picky but these should not be called OG's, neilther have the OG curve that identifies them as such. I would call them either just wood movement shelf clocks, or more descriptively, pillar and splat or stenciled column.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

9. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all;

Larry you are correct. I'm just a little sloppy with the terminology.

My mind swims in all sorts of directions as to the restoration. Especially the one with less parts.

On one hand I could just get the clock working as is and just hang it on the wall. I sorta like a clock like that. Where you get to see inside the case, don't see any new parts except that which is needed to get it running.

With that option, I could wait and wait for ebay to get the door frame/glass/tablet and maybe even the splat.

Problem with that is when I get that kind of parts clock for parts, I feel sorry for it and it becomes a seperate project. Better for me to find suitable door and make my own splat.

Then there is making my own door. You know, I can make myself do things when I really really wanna do it. But, I gotta tell ya, I do get lost in different directions/projects/asperations/inclination/dedications...

What I would hate, is if I put all that work into it, and it winds up looking as bad as a whitey white paper dial does when people replace old dials with them. (know what I mean Vern..!)

If both clocks are as identicle as I think, I may do some re-arranging. Not sure. I would hate to mess up a good clock's originality. (just a thought ok)

Can't wait for these to arrive...! Also, I think I need to build another wall in my house, to create another room. That'll add two more wall spaces :D

RJ

10. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Damn. I wanted that second one and I had forgot to place my bid on it. I'm glad it went to another collector though.

:)

11. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Sooth; Ya snooze, ya lose. :D

I think these splat and columns are the bomb. You get a bit of everything.

Genuine age and rare. (limitted years of production, lot's of pantina evidence).

A workable (mostly easy) to fix clock. Simple and wood.

Good presence. The clocks stand out, yet not gawdy. Simplistic in design.

Lot's of artistic leadway. Big tablet space to play with if original not present.

RJ

12. I am very pleased with my Hotchkiss Pillar and Splat.

http://www.nawcc-mb.com/pictures//file-Hotchkiss - Shelf - Column and Splat.JPG

13. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    R J

You say you like OG's and wood works - me to! I picked up a Russel Coe on eBay last summer that has both! It's a flat OG with an E. Hotchkiss wood movement. I think this is the only model Coe made, at least it's the one he is known for. Guess he didn't stay in business very long. At $200 it was an ok deal. I just can't seem to snag the bargins some of you guys seem to be able to catch.

Picture at the link below

http://www.greenfieldstore.com/clocks/coe.html

Bob C.

14. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob, I just took a look at your Coe clock, and the label's border is identical to my rare "Charles Wilbur" ogee clock. Mine reads "Dean Printer, No 2 Ann St. New York" (I think).

The only info I have on my Wilbur clock is that it was likely made around 1846. Since the label matches, I'd say that might be a close date for your clock also, but I can't be entirely sure on that.

As for getting a good deal, you need lots of time and patience, and you need to be willing to take a risk when it comes to shipping. I just bought a lovely old Samuel Terry wooden works that is missing the top pieces, for 129.00 plus shipping. Sadly, it got damaged in transit, and the original, puttied top glass got smashed. It's all a matter of persistence. I have bid on MANY clocks, but I'm on a small budget, so I keep trying until I eventually get lucky.

Here's part of the label from the Wilbur clock:

https://mb.nawcc.org/

15. Jeff C

Jeff C Registered User
    NAWCC Business

May 26, 2005
    Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clocks RJ :thumb:

I agree with you, they are the bomb! When I got my first Pillar and Splat a few months ago I fell in love with it. I'm fascinated with the engineering that was crafted with these wood movements. They run quite well IMO.

Also the knowledge Sooth has shared with us has been priceless. I learned allot from his posts.

Keep us posted RJ.

16. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sooth,

I think you are probably right. This is pretty late for wood movements so I suspect Coe, and possibly others, may have used up what leftovers they could find and then folded up. Still nice to have something that everyone does not have, even if it is a bit plain.....even homely looking.

Bob