Elimag Demagnetizer Instructions?

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Hudson, Aug 26, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought an Elimag demagnetizer at the Houston regional. I'd like some information / tips on operating it.

I plugged it in.
    Placed some tweezers on it
    Pushed the button
    The light blinked, the tweezers jumped, and it seems to have worked. The tweezers lost the magnetism they had.

However, it took a couple of tries to demagnitize a screwdriver.

What is the correct way to use the Elimag?
    The light does not stay on long, just flashes ever so quickly when the button is pushed. Is this the typical action of this device?

Should the button be held down or just pushed once quickly?

Thanks.

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Make sure you are leaving a few seconds between pushes for it to recharge. The instructions are simple and should be on the bottom of the unit. If not, let me know and I'll scan mine.

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Instructions... 314525.jpg

5. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rob, thanks. The information was good. I don't know why I didn't find that thread when I searched for Elimag.

6. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave,

Very Helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions for me.

7. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Same for me(with a screwdriver), but it did work.

This week my wife's Hamilton wrist watch started running very fast. I
    demagnetized
    it, and it's now fine. A good tool to have. She puts her watch at night on top of her
    iPhone, and I tell that's not a good idea.
    :chuckling:

Rob

8. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Having a good De-Magnetizer in our modern world is a necessity i found this out when i set my first working pocket next to the TV amplifier and it stopped keeping good time with so many electronics around today in 1900 there were not many magnetic fields around unless you worked at a a power generating plant or a big telegraph office the average families home may have just had an electric light if they were rich.

9. robmack

robmack Registered User

Jun 22, 2013
    Toronto, CANADA
    Country Flag:
    #9 robmack, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    If you ever open up the case to your Elimag, check out the age of the capacitor. If it is a few decades old, you would be wise to replace it with a modern equivalent. The type used in older days would have weaken and/or begun to leak after several decades of existence (not necessarily use) and might explain the weakened characteristics you observe. The replacement capacitor should be an AC type with a rated voltage of 350 Volts (assuming you are in the US and connecting it to 120V 60Hz mains). The size of the capacitor is not critical but try to match the original.

FYI, I built my own demagnetizer and wrote up an Instructable about it. I describe the circuit and how it works. The same principle can be applied to your Elimag.

10. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert, thank you for the information. So after reading your response I opened it up. Here are pictures of what I saw: 314655.jpg 314656.jpg

11. robmack

robmack Registered User

Jun 22, 2013
    Toronto, CANADA
    Country Flag:
    That big grey block is the capacitor that I suggested may be weakening. It is a Aerovox 4uF 600 VAC oil-filled capacitor. Given the style of carbon resistors in use, I'd guess this is 1960's - 1970's vintage. Fifty to sixty year old components are probably reaching their end of life. My suggestion would be to see if you can get the existing part tested to find out its condition prior to considering replacement. Maybe go to a local university to seek assistance.

It is possible to locate a modern replacement capacitor at an electronics supply or motor repair shop. These are called motor run capacitors; don't get motor start capacitors. Locating a motor run cap with 10-32 terminals will be very difficult as most capacitors today use 1/4" spade connectors so replacing the cap will thus require modifying the wiring. Going a little larger - 6uF to 8uF - will add a bit more punch to the demagnetizer because more energy will be stored by the capacitor and more current released when the button is pressed.

12. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Robert,

Also looks like selenium rectifiers in the upper LH and RH corners... might be a good idea to also replace those with silicone diodes.

Bill