Eli Terry

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by shaunwelland, Sep 15, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. shaunwelland

shaunwelland Registered User

Sep 15, 2012
    Hi I have always loved Clocks, and have many around the house, This is my first Wooden Movement Clock.
    The clock has a painted wooden face and is about 36" tall, it has a chime bell, and the bottom half is mirrored, The inner Label says Patent Clocks, invented by Eli Terry, made and sold Plymouth, Connecticut by, E Blakeslee,
    Can any body tell me much about this Clock, I have read about Eli Terry, but would like to Date the clock if possible.
    Sadly the clock has lost its weights and Pendulum, can any body give me information on the weight I should use.
    Thank you Shaun

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Shaun, and welcome to the message board! I'm sure you will get lots of help here, as there are many experts who regularly post (I'm decidedly not an expert myself!). According to my reference book on clockmakers by Spittler and Baily, E. Blakeslee in Plymouth, Connecticut is not listed. There is an Edward K. Blakeslee listed as doing business in Cincinnati, Ohio circa 1840-1850, and several Blakeslee partnerships. There is one listed as Garret Smith Blakeslee in Plymouth, listed as the younger brother of Edward. He is listed as doing stenciling work (case decoration) for other case and clockmakers. We would have to see some pictures of your clock and its movement to know what weights would be proper, as it must be determined whether your clock is a 30 hour or 8 day running time model. Others will be along with more info, I'm sure. Again, welcome to the group! George Nelson

3. shaunwelland

Sep 15, 2012
    Thank you for the reply I will try and post some pictures today
    Shaun

4. shaunwelland

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks Nelson,Here are the pictures, I would like to know what the top should look like mine does not look correct. clock 001.jpg clock 002.jpg clock 003.jpg clock 004.jpg clock 005.jpg clock 006.jpg

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shawn, it looks like the top was broken, and the broken part lost. Someone glued on a replacement piece without the stenciling included in the repair. Other than the missing stenciling it appears right to me.

6. shaunwelland

Sep 15, 2012
    Thank that's good to know I can hopefully recreate the stenciling.

7. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    shaunwelland,

According to Roberts & Taylor, in Eli Terry and the Connecticut Shelf Clock (2nd ed.), M. & E. Blakeslee were in business c. 1832. The partners were Marvin & Edward Blakeslee. The movement is a type 1.511 by Seth Thomas. According to Snowden Taylor's 1980 Bulletin article, Seth Thomas movements have been documented in M. & E. Blakeslee clocks.

Mike

8. shaunwelland

Sep 15, 2012
    That a lot of help thanks Mike