Eli Terry style clock

Tom Reininger

Feb 16, 2022
Country
Hello, by some good fortune I was recently able to acquire a lovely clock with wooden movement. I have never had a clock of this type. My limited experience with clocks has been limited to
28A608DB-C653-4F8A-A807-F3E83B8ED452.jpeg
28A608DB-C653-4F8A-A807-F3E83B8ED452.jpeg
59BF6D90-547C-488D-887D-50BFD0DFE0A4.jpeg
what I find in local thrift shops. Using the guidelines of ‘do no harm’ I need help in: determining the age of the clock and selecting the correct pendulum and weights (it has neither). I will post a couple of pictures as soon as I can figure it out.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Richard Duke was an old friend. I printed the labels for his P&S clocks, he made quite a few of them. The weights should be about 3-3.25 pounds each, conventional wood works weights, and the pendulum also standard ww style. Richard used period movements, hands, dials, and weights in these clocks. All that I have seen have been excellent copies of period-style cases, but his exuberant use of tiger maple on this one makes it very interesting to me. Richard's first clocks dated to the late 1960's and he was still building them in the late '80's, after I left Indiana

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Hello, by some good fortune I was recently able to acquire a lovely clock with wooden movement. I have never had a clock of this type. My limited experience with clocks has been limited to View attachment 725183 View attachment 725183 View attachment 725184 what I find in local thrift shops. Using the guidelines of ‘do no harm’ I need help in: determining the age of the clock and selecting the correct pendulum and weights (it has neither). I will post a couple of pictures as soon as I can figure it out.
Thanks for your help.
Nice find.

Not familiar with the maker. Thanks to Mr. Dubois for enlightening us all.

A lovely modern reproduction pillar and scroll. At one time, fine quality repops like this would have been referred to as "bench made".

Appears to be missing a center finial and scrolls.

Bob Materne also made lovely repop pillar and scrolls of about the same vintage, i.e., late 20th century. Also favored the use of tiger maple in his cases constructed using traditional methods and, at times, using a ww movement with original dial and hands. Sometimes he did use a modern German spring driven time and strike movement (yuck). See this thread:

Whale's Tails | NAWCC Forums

Here's a "teaser" pic from that thread.

materne pillar and scroll b (2).JPG

Clock's not lopsided. My picture is.

You will find more info there about Mr. Duke as well.

Nice to know that there have been and are great craftspeople still working (Jim?).

A timely posting as the discussion on another thread touched upon worthwhile repops and well, what is basically junk.

No question your clock falls deep into the former.

I will add, however, that with the drop in prices for many nice genuine period clocks, this is a good time to consider buying them.

Enjoy your clock.

RM

Reactions: PatH and Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Since my middle name is "thread drift" here is another piece of Mr. Duke's work. Give to me by NAWCC Chapter 18 on completion of my stint as chapter president, 1977-1978. Richard was a master wood turner and he made one of these gavels for each chapter president upon the completion of their term. A nice touch I thought at the time, and still do. And I still call dinner to session and always follow Robert's Rules too. Have to hammer it down with gavel you know.

20220908_120752.jpg 20220908_120718.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre