Eli Terry & Sons Double-Decker: New Purchase

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Jeremy Woodoff, Oct 24, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So this is the picture I saw on eBay, about 3 hours before the end of the auction:

44.jpg

The item was described like this: "Antique eightday wall clock. sold by E.Terry and sons. DOES NOT WORK MISSING PARTS eagle wing on right side is broken off I set it on for the picture." I asked the seller if the movement behind the dial was wood or brass and if there were any extra, filled in holes in the dial. His answer was "there are brass gears and stuff behind the dial and there are 2 wind holes." That didn't sound too promising, but I found a couple of examples of these clocks in my books and the winding holes are in exactly the same position on the dial.

I don't know why there wasn't more interest in this clock. There was one other bidder, and I got it for twelve dollars and fifty cents. It should arrive any day now. I hope it has its 8-day wood works. If it doesn't its just a beat-up case.

If the picture is enlarged, I believe I can see a seconds bit on the dial. Many of the 8-day double-deck clocks by E. Terry & Sons have this feature. The dial looks in great condition and the case basically complete, except obviously for the tablet, some veneer, and possibly feet.

I'll follow up this post with either a smiley face :)or a sad face :(soon.

2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    HOLY CRAP. 12.50$!!!!!!!

I really wish I had seen this, but more than likely it had US shipping only, which is where I lose a lot of good deals.

3. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    So how on earth did this have so little interest? I usually keep tabs on terry clocks and I don't remember seeing this one?

Great score jeremy. Who knows, maybe the brass gears behind the dial were made by SB Terry.

Paul
    www.tictockdoc.com

4. DBPhelps

DBPhelps Registered User

Nov 26, 2002
    Sales Broker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy, I have a Seth Thomas 8 day wood works with similar cut off movement rails and bottom cross bracket. Hopefully you have scored a winner on this clock.

D

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JC you took the words right out of my mouth.
    Wow, is a good word to use.
    For under 20 bucks.
    I hope you get a mostly complete movement and the rest is very nice. Nice find for sure and it pays to watch Ebay.
    Please let us know how and what you end up with.
    I know i am curious.:)

6. michaelf318is

michaelf318is Registered User

Jul 25, 2008
    Ed Tech
    Winnipeg
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is impressive! :eek:What category was it in? I swear I look at every clock in eBay and am sure I would have remembered it.

Nevertheless, congrats. I don't think you can lose no matter what is behind that dial.

7. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 clocks4u, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
    Here's one reason why the clock went cheap.....the catagory they ran it in. Probably cost himself some money. :eek:

home and garden>inside the home>home decor and accents>clocks>wall clocks

Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/eightday-wall-clock_W0QQitemZ290267850198QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290267850198&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

If you didn't put in a specific search like Terry clock (which I do from time to time), you probably would've missed it. Great find! Hope there's something good behind the dial...:)

Edit..I also noticed it ran for a week before with no bids...wow!

8. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aha! clocks4u discovered the secret! But I have seen clocks appear in that category that have sold for reasonable amounts.

9. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :):):)......more to follow!

10. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't believe my good luck! The clock was packed in a box with nothing but crumpled newspaper for padding, and only 1 to 2 inches of it on all sides (see first two pictures). It spent about 6 days in the gentle custody of UPS, and it arrived with no damage whatsoever.

Under the dial is the original, 8-day, wood-works, mahogany plate movement. It appears to be complete, including four wood pulleys--two mounted in typical fashion at the top of the case and two separate pulleys (the weights are compounded). I've never seen one of these movements before. The flywheel is at the bottom. It even has old catgut cords--this clock hasn't run in a long time.

The dial has no cracking or paint flaking, though it was once cleaned and some of the fine black lines have been erased. The gold portions are fine. The hour and minute hands are original. The bell is original (though detached from the backboard). The label is nearly 100%, with some cracking and lifting, and a lot of dirt and some darkening. It includes the Equation of Time tables. The finish on the clock is original, though very dirty, and appears never to have been overcoated. There is little if any crazing of the finish, except on the upper columns, which have their original stenciling intact. The eagle's left wing is broken, but it is a clean break and an easy repair. The upper glass is wonderfully bubbled and wavy and is held in with its original putty. Both Terry-type door locks are present.

The clock needs:

• feet--carved paws in front, turned in back
    • a little veneer along the bottom edges
    • side returns at the top
    • weights
    • pendulum bob
    • lower tablet
    • replacement bone or ivory escutcheons, in the atypical rectangular shape found on E. Terry & Sons clocks
    • seconds hand
    I'd appreciate help with the following: dimensions and weight of the original weights; diameter and weight of the pendulum bob; and any source for reproduction feet.

The brass gears that the seller said were behind the dial are from a separate alarm movement that was with the clock but doesn't belong to it.

Attached Files:

11. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy, what a bargain!! You should go out and buy a lottery ticket. Beautiful clock, well worth restoring:thumb::thumb:

12. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congrats, Jeremy! :thumb:

WOW, I can't believe how little packing/space they allowed around the clock! :eek: Kudos to the USPS on being gentle with it during its journey!

John

13. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like the others, I too am green with envy.

I particularly love the lower carved pillars.

Merritt's has one style of feet if you choose to go with the carved eagle feet (catalog # P335). The only example of a double decker with feet(Terry and Sons column & splat) I saw in Ly's American Clocks Vo. 3 had bunn feet. It is on page 67. Mr. Ly listed his source as NAWCC Bulletin # 144, Feb. 1970, page 117, fig. 14.

I wish I knew a source for bunn feet since I need a set for a Birge Peck triple decker I recently scored. Bunn feet are generally rather simplistic, and I may eventually resort to having a set turned at a local wood shop.

Are you planning on a reverse painted tablet or a mirror? The example mentioned in the above reference has a reverse painted tablet

Hope to see a future photo of your final restoration.

14. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy - What a great find. Some people have all the luck. Finding a ivory escutcheons replacement is about impossible. (But with your luck you will probably find one.) In any case if you want real ivory for the escutcheons you can get ivory piano key top replacements from Boone Trading company. The url is listed below. The keys are listed under blanks at the bottom of the page. The key tops are just the right thickness and size to cut out a new escutcheons.

http://www.boonetrading.com/index.html

15. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lamar,

Van Dyke's Restorers has some 2" diameter bun feet that might work for you, but they might be a little too big. I've seen pictures of a few double-deck clocks with paw feet. The bottom board on my clock goes straight across, and the bottoms of the carved columns project forward of it. So the paw feet need to extend in front of the board. See the terrible drawing below. I'm not sure if this is the type of foot that Merritts sells. Other clocks have columns that are set back from the bottom board, or have projections on the bottom board. On these, the paw feet would not cover the front of the bottom board, but would be entirely beneath it.

All of these clocks I have seen have reverse painted tablets, not mirrors. But I may at least temporarily use an old mirror, since it's a lot less expensive than a painted tablet.

Joseph,

Thanks for the link to boone trading. As it happens, a couple of years ago I saw an old piano sitting out in the rain waiting for trash pickup. I salvaged many of the real ivory keys, so I will use those for the escutcheons.

Attached Files:

16. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh you lucky bum! I just can't believe what an amazing find you've got. A gorgeous 8 day all original, untouched Eli Terry with carved crest/columns, original dial, hands, pulleys.

I just can't believe they advertised it so poorly, and that they let the auction end without pulling it.

Congrats on what's probably the "deal of the century".

17. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unbelievable...Didn't think to many things slipped through the cracks on eBay anymore. The person left hundreds of dollars on the table by his catagory choice. :eek: Not sure if it's the deal of the century, but a great bargain indeed. Congratulations!

18. DBPhelps

DBPhelps Registered User

Nov 26, 2002
    Sales Broker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMO the clock is nice enough to justify having a competent woodcarver make the feet as opposed to getting the generic ones from a supplier. Great find! I believe the weights are different than your usual 8lb brass movement types. I think they are a little heavier due to the compound factoring by the extra pulleys used.

D

19. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    D--

I agree with you. Any suggestions for competent woodcarvers, especially one who might know what this should look like?

thanks.

20. DBPhelps

DBPhelps Registered User

Nov 26, 2002
    Sales Broker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy, I have a couple different 8 day WW with feet. I'll post pictures sometime later today. I found a local woodworker who also does carving and had him reproduce feet for a Eli Terry transition case a couple years ago. After I had them put on the case, you couldn't tell which was the reproduction & which was the original. In that instant, I had a Riley Whiting clock with feet that he used as a pattern. I think I had him use walnut but mahogany would have been a better match but the results turned out good. I've posted a couple pictures of the clock with its feet. The camera shows more color variation than there is actually in person.

This is stating the obvious but keep this in mind unless you have a local person carve & install the feet, you will need to wait and not have the dowels pins installed as you will need to fit them to the case prior to drilling & installing the dowels in each foot. The back peg legs will be simple enough, just the correct diameter of the peg dowel. These 8 days are pretty scarce. It's a very nice addition to your collection.

D

Attached Files:

21. David 62

David 62 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Don Dolye in Mich.is a good carver.

22. DBPhelps

DBPhelps Registered User

Nov 26, 2002
    Sales Broker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy, here are 3 examples to consider.

The Adkins & Downs is an 8 day WW with large robust style feet 1 3/4" in height not including the portion that covers the bottom base board. They are also 2 1/4" in width at their widest point.

The Seth Thomas 8 day WW & Samuel Terry 30 hr feet are very similar. They are 1 1/2" in height excluding the front carving that extends over the bottom base board and 2" in width.

IMO the Seth Thomas & Samuel Terry are accurate examples of the ones that your clock should have. The back feet of the Seth Thomas are probably accurate as well.

Hope this is of some help. As stated before, I have used a local carver to do ones for me, but there are probably a number of people capable of making these, maybe even someone close to you that could fit them to your case. Good luck and let me know if you need any further help or more detailed pictures.

D

Attached Files:

23. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    D--

Thanks, those pictures are very helpful. I think the Samuel Terry feet would be correct on my clock. I may ask for a more detailed photo once I have found someone to make them.

24. Patricia Jones

Patricia Jones Registered User

Apr 6, 2004
    #24 Patricia Jones, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    Hello Jeremy et al:

I am posting photos of my Eli Terry and Son (not Sons) transition clock.
    It was collected by my late father and I have no indication of any restoration to it. It is a wooden works, weight clock. Until, I saw your photos, I had questioned the authenticity of a carved splat and stenciled columns but now see that that combination does, indeed, exist.

I have cropped a photo of the feet in case this would be helpful to you.

Pattye

Attached Files:

25. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pattye,

Thanks so much for your posting. That's a very nice clock. The carved feet on mine are a different type, with an upper part that covers the front of the bottom board.

So far, I've made replacement escutcheons for the doors using old ivory piano keys, glued down the loose parts of the label, and treated it with an alkaline spray to prevent, or retard, oxidation. I've also cleaned the stenciled columns and the lower door frame. This is all easy stuff. The veneer repair will require more concentration.

I'm still looking for dimension and weight info for the weights and pendulum, if anyone has one of these clocks. And, if anyone has contact info for woodcarver Don Dolye in Michigan (recommended above by David 62), I'd appreciate having it.

26. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I will be honest Jeremy, i am envious.:(
    That was the find of a lifetime, wow you got some luck.
    That will be one sweet clock when you get the old girl finished.Hope to see some after pictures. And the glass was not broken, with so little packing,
    It will be interesting to watch the restoration take place.:)

27. David 62

David 62 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Don Doyle in Mich. is a good carver and could carve the feet and turn the rear feet.

28. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David,

Do you have contact information for Don Doyle? Thanks.

29. David 62

David 62 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Jeremy,

can I send you a e-mail?
    David

30. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a set of carved feet that I had carved many years ago. They are very well done, but are done in walnut. I used several of these and with proper mahogany stain they look correct on a mahogany clock...I would have preferred mahogany but the carver had walnut so that was what I got... I can post a photo later today if there is interest.

31. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  32. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here you go....

Attached Files:

33. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim,

I've sent you a PM about the feet.

34. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As promised, here are some "after" pictures of the case restoration. The first picture is re-posted from the "before" pictures. What I've done to the case includes:

• Thanks to Jim DuBois, I was able to add a proper set of carved feet that were made 30 years ago. They just required some stain, dust of the ages in the recesses, and shellac.
    • Two keyhole escutcheons were made from old ivory piano keys.
    • Both top returns were made from pine with thick mahogany veneer.
    • Loose veneer on the bottom front and one of the sides was re-glued.
    • Missing veneer on the bottom front and side trim and a couple of other places was replaced.
    • The broken eagle wing was glued.
    • The new wood was stained and shellacked.
    • The entire case was cleaned with Murphy's Oil Soap and rubbed down with Howard's Restore-a-Shine, then waxed.
    • Loose bits of the paper label were glued down with archival glue, and deacidification spray applied.
    • I added a "tail" to the original minute hand. There was evidence that it had one. Pictures of Terry clocks with these hands show about half had the tail and half didn't. I also found a reasonable second hand.
    I lightly cleaned the gilt borders around the doors. I haven't decided whether to do any touch-ups to the gilding, which appears to be gold paint. I have a piece of old glass for the lower door. The black and white stencil in the photos is just a place holder. It comes from the Fenn stencil book and happens to be the right proportions to fit the door.

I was fortunate that the finish was so intact and un-crazed. It was very dirty, and there's still dirt in the recesses of the carving (I'll call it patina), so the clock still looks its age--about 178 years old.

I'll post again when I get to the movement.

Again, I'd appreciate any information on the size/shape, weight of the weights and the design/size of the pendulum. These are all missing.

Attached Files:

35. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy,

looking really great! Nice job on matcing colors.....

36. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I finally took the plunge and arranged for Tom Moberg to paint the bottom tablet. It just arrived today and I wanted to post the complete clock to finish out this thread. I think Tom's work is just wonderful. I provided a piece of old glass and will putty it in place.

The movement needed only cleaning. It runs but still needs a little tweaking and I still don't have proper weights for it. Otherwise there's only that little chip on the upper left of the lower door frame to fix.

It's been a great project, and thanks again to all who provided assistance and encouragement.

Attached Files:

37. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Congratulations! Strong work.

What a nice genuinely antique American clock!

Went back through earlier pics. Much originality repectfully and appropriately brought back....and it didn't happen overnight, as good restorations rarely do. Looks like it even had 2 original hands and those little pullies to compound the weights. Amazing what goes missing and somehow what don't.

Hard to pick out what I like the best. Guess I have to say the combination of stencilled (looks like original decoration) and carved columns. Mahogany plate 8 day movement with seconds bit no less!

Much to like.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

RM

38. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great job on this restoration. Very happy to see the finished clock after so long. That veneer chip is really not that bad. You could always leave it alone. If not, then you'd almost have to cut out a diagonal section and fit a patch. Not too hard to do. Just some mahogany veneer (thick cut), a bit of sanding, maybe some stain (probably not), and some shellac.