Eli Terry & sons battered P&S

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by ballistarius, Feb 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello everybody,
    It's been more than a year without visiting the MB!:oops: A busy year, settling accounts with a small cancer... Last time I visited the MB, Sally had just died and now I find that George and Harold have been labelled 'deceased' too :(
    Well... Ten years ago, when buying American clocks was easier and less taxed, I spotted ad bought a battered P&S (Heck, I'd swear I had posted it on a thread then, but it doesn't appear, therefore, I obviously didn't:rolleyes:)

437867-ffc79bb510c92b854072ffd5cca9b63a.jpg 437873-d96984425fcbd8d83fb033015e2c130f.jpg
    The case was shattered (skirt, scrolls, and one column broken) but nearly all fragments were there.

437868-ae4ab77b76f9ab0fc9dafd9e8f82fdd9.jpg 437874-d6a8fd246e4efa34c8031e640a6c2cd8.jpg 437869-b01275e42053801fc6536880b139cf51.jpg
    Original hands, bell and weights, nice dial and well preserved Eli Terry & sons label.
    Upper glass replaced but old, tablet glass original but 'perfectly' defaced:eek:
    437878-1940756327b7a65924396a82d69d98cc.jpg
    Original Terry 1.116a movement with multiple mechanical issues (only evident after closer inspection)
    437879-aee1c9678615badf7805c19b9ee5c8c7.jpg Door insc.jpg Door insc.jpg Door insc1.jpg
    Two pencil inscriptions by the same person. At the back of the dial:
    'Repaired by R Mc Ginnish April the 9th 1880'
    At the back of the door:
    'R Mc Ginnis october ¿? 24 1885'

Aitor

!Bc-P02!!mk~$(KGrHqQH-EIEquwH0Ve!BK22F4ugJw~~_3.jpg !Bc-Q0OwB2k~$(KGrHqIH-DQEqtV2Dy8dBK22Hq8+t!~~_3.jpg !Bc-QiHw!Wk~$(KGrHqMH-CsEquoIYNfSBK22HLEwEg~~_3.jpg IMG_5024.jpg IMG_5028.jpg 1.116a.jpg dial insc.jpg

R. Croswell likes this.
  2. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It was time to make up something out of this pile of promising junk. To my mind, a 'clock' is mainly its movement. Without a going movement inside, a case is just a piece of furniture and I am a clock collector (nothing intended against furniture! ;))
    After so many years, it had become clear to me that I had no chances of having the movement repaired here. So I made up my mind and I sent the movement back to the USA to be repaired by Peter Nunes. Now it's ticking and striking merrily on my test stand with a period replacement bob.:D
    437897-d0a0fd58650a399ab9433d8bdc84beaa.jpg
    Now it was time for the case. The dial has been cleaned and fixed by a professional restorer.
    437898-28ad2cfa1812b31fc2b61a2442d3ca30.jpg
    The puzzle of broken case parts has been assembled by a joiner. There were some veneer losses and I managed to get some old thick mahogany veneer from dilapidated cases. The backings of the two scrolls were there, but only the veneering of one of them could be completed from the surviving fragments. One of the returns had lost its veneer and also one of the chimney tops was missing. I made the keyhole scutcheon from one broken billiard ball. Now the case is on its feet again.:cool:
    437899-fdb24b9ea6620ce7e5a286a02de14ec3.jpg
    437900-c87f6f149e3cd265d44b8d8e079fb224.jpg 437901-5d2c8c2e6ddda20a59a5a6866288d607.jpg
    Next step will be to carry the case to the restorer. Unfortunately, it will have to be refinished. He shall dare to paint the tablet again. Just tiny scraps of paint remain adhered to the glass. Maybe narrow gold leaf border and green. That fits more than 80% of P&S tablets...:rolleyes:

Aitor

IMG_2877.JPG IMG_2871.JPG IMG_2870.JPG IMG_2873.JPG IMG_2869.JPG

Raymond Rice likes this.
  3. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to refinish this clock. It can be patched, repaired, and restored w/o refinishing.

4. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, Sooth.
    In fact, I discussed the matter with the restorer when I carried the case to his workshop and he was of the same opinion:)
    It's been a long time since I started this project and currently I rather regret some earlier decissions. The backboard was nearly detached from the rest of the case and I carried it (alongside with the label) to a paper restorer. The label was carefully detached from the board, de-acified, backed and inserted in a sort a mylar envelope. Though the label suffered some very minor damage in the process, now it will last for a longer time and will be protected...o_O My plan is to attach the mylar envelope to the backboard again but, If I had to decide today, I'd have left both label and board untouched!:(

Aitor

5. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well,
    The restorer has finished his job and I've spent most of the week-end assembling components. The lower backboard with the label using the original L-shaped nails. The tinplate back cover and pulley dust-covers, the bell...
    IMG_3074.JPG IMG_3075.JPG IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3081.JPG
    One or two 'thrilling' moments, but things have gone truly smooth:)

Aitor

6. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 ballistarius, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    The feet

IMG_3077.JPG
    And the tablet, repainted on the original glass. Not a Moberg one, but locally manufactured and correct design for maker and period...
    IMG_3087.JPG
    The movement returns back home, and so do the dial and hands:
    IMG_3082.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3085.JPG
    Reassembled at last and working. The finials are not original, but correctly made ones by Fred Ringer.
    IMG_3090.JPG

At least this one stands again as a complete clock, after spending years as separate components, separatedly kept, awaiting for 'resurrection day'. It's always a source of mild concern to me that a few interesting 'project' clocks could end in nothing if I have not time enough to rescue them from their storage boxes and drawers... Nothing new under the sun!;)

Aitor

Chris Radano, Jim DuBois and PatH like this.
  7. Tommy Thomas

Tommy Thomas Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Male
    Columbia, SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a beautiful Clock.

8. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, Tommy!:)
    During all these years I've doubted many times if I should have bought a better preserved P&S instead of spending so much time and money repairing this one. Now I feel happy to have saved it from the junk box!

Aitor

9. Tommy Thomas

NAWCC Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Male
    Columbia, SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought about then when reading your post. I think you made the right decision. Your clock lives again and will enrich your life. :) I recently bought a Seth Thomas Pillar and Scroll. I really like these clocks. I will enjoy mine every day. :)

10. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tommy.
    Your Seth Thomas looks splendid, indeed!:cool:
    Used to deal with European clocks (mainly French Morbiers and German Black Forest), when I discovered American woodworks I could hardly believe...
    Before I stopped buying new clocks, I managed to get that P&S, a 'column & splat empty case, plus several detached movements. It is difficult and expensive to get American clocks and parts from this side of the pond!:rolleyes:

Aitor

11. Tommy Thomas

NAWCC Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Male
    Columbia, SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh I could imagine about the cost. I have always been interested in Black Forest clocks since a child. Would love to talk with you sometime about them. :)

12. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Common Black Forest clocks are rather easy to find here. Getting those with mechanical complications and exotic cuckoos is a different matter, though...
    I'm now about to try to reconstruct the missing parts of the alarm mechanism of a Surrer. Lots of wire bending:In the nearby Catalonia they call Black Forest common shield clocks 'Rateras', ie: 'Mousetraps'

13. Tommy Thomas

NAWCC Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Male
    Columbia, SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was looking at your P&S tablet. I really like the design and colors. Looks really good on your clock.

Is there a good book on Black Forest clocks that you would recommend.

14. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, Tommy! In fact I provided another rather different model to the restorer but the decided on his own to make some changes... I'd have preferred a less exhuberant gold leaf border but I'm pleased anyway. Moreover, the idea of sending the full door with the glass across the Ocean to be painted still make me shudder!:eek:

Most books on BF clocks are in German. It's a real drawback but I've bought them anyway in spite of a poor understanding of that language:rolleyes:
    In English you have the classic, outdated, disordered but yet full of useful information, 'Black Forest Clock maker and the Cuckoo Clock' by Karl Kochmann
    A more recent one, beautifully illustrated, is 'Rare and Unusual Black Forest Clocks' by Justin J. Miller. Pricey.

Aitor

15. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you're an NAWCC member, you can check out a copy from the Library and Research Center. You'll have to pay some shipping, but it's likely a good bit less than the cost of the book.

16. Tommy Thomas

NAWCC Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Male
    Columbia, SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I am a member. I will check that out. Thanks

17. Tommy Thomas

NAWCC Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Male
    Columbia, SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aitor,
    I actually like the gold leaf border. That is what caught my eye about the tablet. :)

18. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. it's really exhuberant ... I'd favoured a plainer, straight gold leaf border to be more 'period'. A pity that the original paint had been so thoroughly well erased!:(

Aitor