Elgins with "heart" cut-out balance cock.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Rick Hufnagel, Jun 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Mr. Cote here, and honestly I haven't met an Elgin collector yet that doesn't enjoy these watches! They are scattered all over the board. Obviously many are in the Elgin private label thread, but it would be nice to have one thread to keep track and show them off!

In the 1870s (maybe even into early 80s) Elgin offered a cut-out balance cock in the shape of a heart for jewelers who had their labels put on the watches. I say offered because there are also many contemporary private label watches without. This feature is found on model 1 (Keywind) and model 2 (stemwind) 18 size movements.

Also, the rounded barrel bridge ties in with this feature. I've yet to come across a cut out balance cock without a rounded barrel bridge. Where does this information lead? Time will tell. I'm very curious to see how high and low we can get with serial numbers.

Let's see some of those great Elgins! Show them off here! Please include the serial number, jeweler and location if it's not a bother, sometimes it's hard to read.

Anything with a serial number on it we can all learn something from, wether it's museum quality or a rusty parts movement or anything in between. If you don't want to post it here, send me a message anytime!

You can see most of mine in the Elgin private labels thread, but here are a few to get us started.

J.T. Ryerson
    Frank Carr, Hallowell Ma

Snagged this from J&H and love it. 8bd3edca6dba05e1b038b17e4b36de7a.jpg 86ffed90b48ff4fec6f484635e772c19.jpg

G.M. Wheeler
    Chas H.O. Fox
    Frederick MD
    ENWCo block letter dial
    7e4f7a8001d486a34d5720ec8101b18d.jpg

And of course my pride and joy since I collect and study the early stemwinders.
    H.H. Taylor model 2
    M.F. Robinson
    Springfield Mass
    ENWCo ss block letter dial IMG_20200605_202342770.jpg

Look at that lovely engraving along with the heart shaped cut out. If I were looking at a shelf full of movements in 1873, that would certainly catch my eye! What a neat way to stand out in the crowd.

Thank you for viewing and I'm hoping we get to see some great watches and movements here!

2. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for starting the thread Rick. Here are the two I have. Both are in seemingly original coin silver cases and both have typical matching dials. One is a gr-55 (Ferry) for E. H. Sweetser, Danville, IL and one is a gr 62 (Culver) for Harrington & Co in Providence RI.

SweetserHeartElgin-Mvt.jpg HerringtonHeartElgin-Mvt.jpg

Paul Sullivan, darrahg, pmwas and 5 others like this.
  3. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice :) I WOULD have one to show, but this was one of the few packages that never arrived from USA :( Hope the thief will show this one - it was nice, but… I doubt that ;)

Paul Sullivan and John Cote like this.