Elgin Wrist Watch Case Back Screws

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by EscapeWheel, Jan 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. EscapeWheel

EscapeWheel Registered User

Mar 19, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi! I can't find which model this is. It's missing a couple of screws holding the back on. Out of all the tiny screws I have, none fit. Any idea where to get a couple?

On the inside back cover there's the usual "cased and timed by Elgin" and two numbers - 6554 and U449120. A search didn't turn up much. Thanks! Phil

ElginScrew2.JPG ElginScrew3.JPG ElginScrew.JPG

2. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    San Francisco Peninsula
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's an Oceanside. 6554 is the Case Model Number. It's one of those Elgins I call "Watches with Fins", because the shape is so...50s! Reminds me of the late 50s cars with those big fins!

It's one of a group of Elgin waterproof watches made in the mid 1950s with those 4-screw casebacks. I have never been able to find replacement screws, and of course since Elgin made their own screws, these aren't an off-the-shelf thing. And a LOT of these watches are either missing one or more screws, or the threads in the holes have been stripped. What I've done in cases like this is to put in the two screws at diagonally opposite corners.

I've also scavenged screws from less restorable watches.

Rick Hufnagel and Hawk53 like this.
  3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    This was going to be my suggestion.

Rob

4. EscapeWheel

EscapeWheel Registered User

Mar 19, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you! Now I know what I'm up against. And it's nice to know the model name.