• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Elgin wind indicators

Dbailey

Dec 16, 2006
I'm wondering if anyone has access to info that gives the production numbers for the 16S Father Time WIs and the 16S 23J Veritas WIs...in the Elgin database that I use they're included in with the non-WIs in each particular grade...thanks!
Dennis

crsides

Mar 5, 2002
SC
Country
Region
I tried to dig that info out for the father times WI and could separate production from the non WI

Charlie

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Dennis:

Elgin originally fitted wind indicators to individual Father Time and Veritas watches pulled from inventory, or from runs currently in production, without regard for serial numbers. These were probably created to have samples or to fill the occasional order. Elgin records of addition of wind indicators to these watches have yet to come to light.

Examples contained in the data base that Ed Ueberall and I maintain show that eventually, blocks of one or more hundred watches (in serial number sequence, the last three digits starting with -001 and ending in -000) within a production run were fitted with wind indicators. These may have been for Elgin's inventory or to fill oders from the largest jobbers. At some point, we expect to accumulate enough data to be able to accurately estimate the total quantities of wind indicator watches built within these blocks. But the overall totals will never be known due to the unrecorded, individual wind indicators that were initially built at random.

Meanwhile, please keep your cards and letters coming with data of serial numbers, grade, dial type & etc.

Thanks,

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Yes, with all of the parts, including the dial, anybody with the skill and tools to rework the plates can add a wind indicator to a Waltham or Elgin watch. This has been done over the years. However, the numbers created this way are very small compared to the quantity produced by Waltham and Elgin.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Just wondered which company made more 16 sz watches with wind indicators. Waltham or Elgin.
I could not find any postings on this question.