Elgin Video

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by mlcampbell, Dec 9, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. mlcampbell

mlcampbell Registered User

Mar 21, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just found this today and watched the whole thing in absolute fascination. Sorry if it's duplicated, I did a search but it didn't come up.

[video=youtube;ys4ChOWYNy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys4ChOWYNy8[/video]

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whatever became of all of those wonderful machines? Were they all scrapped? It would be great to resurrect some of them and try to make a modern day Elgin watch, the cost of course would be prohibitive due to the cost of labor, but fun just the same.

3. mlcampbell

mlcampbell Registered User

Mar 21, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know what happened to all of them. I have read in other places that some of the lathes, etc, were sold off, but I'd imagine the bulk of it was carted off for scrap.

Unfortunately, that America appears to be gone for good. What an amazing feat of manufacturing that was. 20,000 screws in a thimble and they fabricated all their own machinery.

How many OSHA, Labor, and human resources violations did you notice? Lol. Did you see the woman (they called them "girls"...HR managers across the country are cringing involuntarily) poising the balance when she would stick her finger in and twist the belt on the lathe (or whatever) to stop it?

4. Mikie T

Mikie T Registered User

Jun 25, 2012
    Draftsman
    Meridian, MS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am amazed that an assembly line operation IN THE 1930's could perform such intricate operations. This time is just 60 years removed from the civil war where men were shooting at each other with black powder muskets!
    Did this machinery for mass production exist even earlier than that time?
    Didn't Elgin start production of their watches in about 1870?

WOW.... JUST.... WOW.

Mike

5. Mikie T

Mikie T Registered User

Jun 25, 2012
    Draftsman
    Meridian, MS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    But, the "girls" did get a 3 minute head start on the men at "quitting time".
    This was a time when men and women were RESPECTED for what they were and what they could do!. There was no OSHA or unions or NAACP or ASPCA or any other lettered leaches that drive up the cost of anything made in America.
    I would have rather lived during that time in American history with a low paying job than to live now with millions at my disposal. The difference.... INTEGRITY, TRUST and RESPECT!!

Mike

jakematic likes this.
  6. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Great find! I've added it to the References section of the "Elgin Watch Co." Encyclopedia article.

7. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    #7 Kent, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  8. Mikie T

Mikie T Registered User

Jun 25, 2012
    Draftsman
    Meridian, MS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. TomCarroll

TomCarroll Registered User

Oct 2, 2014
    There was one watch company, Hampden, all of their machinery was sent to Russia in 1930. Russia produced watches brand Полёт.

10. grtnev

grtnev Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Male
    Retired = Consulting Engineer
    Minden, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by richiec viewpost-right.png
    Whatever became of all of those wonderful machines? Were they all scrapped? It would be great to resurrect some of them and try to make a modern day Elgin watch, the cost of course would be prohibitive due to the cost of labor, but fun just the same.

Well, since the governing fathers of that great city of Elgin, IL hurridly demolished the factory / clock tower ca: 1966 after Elgin's departure to S. Carolina ca: 1964, I don't think that anyone gave a thought about the equipment. I assume Elgin modernized with their new digs in S. Carolina and didn't need old equipment. With the factory being demolished in such a relatively short time period after Elgin left town, it is hard to imagine anyone even thinking about the historical importance of what had been.

Also, let me add my thanks for bringing this video to the attention of the forum.

Richard

11. Louis Christina

Louis Christina Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 10, 2004
    #11 Louis Christina, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    Just fantastic! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

12. quackersmallard

quackersmallard Registered User

Nov 16, 2014
    Retired hockey player
    Michigan, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for posting this great video! :coolsign:

13. onsite

onsite Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2011