Elgin RR case question

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
I recently purchased an Elgin RR watch in a "Style 39" case (The case that has "Elgin RR" imprinted just below the crown). Unfortunately, the watch came with a non-orginal crown. My question is where can I locate a crown that will fit this watch as I wish to restore it to it's original condition?

The Style 39 case is shown on page 65 of the Townsend book on American RR Watches.

Thanks, JeffL

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Jeff:

Townsend's book, American Railroad Watches, published in 1977, only has 44 pages and no pictures of cases. Are you referring to a reprint?

Is this the case for which you're seeking a crown?

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
Kent,

Yes, it is the Townsend reprint (April 1994) and I am looking for a suitable crown replacement.

Thanks, Jeff

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
Kent, yes that is the crown I am looking for. Please advise. Tks, Jeff

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Jeff:

I didn't respond earlier because I don't have a replacement crown or know where to get one. I was hoping somebody else waould come up with a suggestion.

Sorry,

musicguy

NAWCC Member
Donor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
style 39 case The case that has "ElginRR" imprinted just below the crown

I was at an antique store this morning and they had one of these (style No. 39, C 1923)cases
with a broken 7j hunter movement
:p. The case is in really great shape with
a nice glass crystal, but they want a decent amount for it. I'm always looking for nice 16s
cases, and as an Elgin collector this would be perfect for a orphan B W Raymond Movement.
I made an offer for it but they didn't budge. The funny thing was they had a bunch of watches
in fairly nice cases but all of them had 7j movements in them.

Rob

Mikie T

Jun 25, 2012
Meridian, MS
Country
Region
musicguy;1119746 said:

I was at an antique store this morning.............

I made an offer for it but they didn't budge. The funny thing was they had a bunch of watches in fairly nice cases but all of them had 7j movements in them.

LOL..... these "antique stores" ESPECIALLY around my area have a "buy something, then sell at a higher price" mentality. It is hard to get these people to listen to a reasonable offer if they overpaid for a watch in the first place. You know the value of the watches you saw is in the case alone. You can probably lay out a reasonable value for these people but unless you put money in their pockets they have no use for you.
I have one shop here that I visit regularly. I have educated them on the value of pocket watches. They now check the jewel count on watches before they buy and offer the sellers a price based on what they see. The reason they listen to me is because they have some watches in a display case that have outrageous prices on them. They bought them at too high a price and have to sell at a price to make a little $$ on them. They have been sitting there for years because the price is just too high.

musicguy

NAWCC Member
Donor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
RE: "I made an offer for it but they didn't budge."

So(and not that anyone really cares) but the Antique store called me back.

Yesterday I saw an unrecognizable number on my cell phone. 99% of the time
I let them go directly to my message because they are almost always robocalls.
But yesterday I picked up the call, and the person was from the antique store
letting me know that they would accept my offer on the style No. 39 Elgin Gold filled watch case(with wrong 7j movement inside).
It was a fairly low amount of money compared to what it would
have sold for on eBay(and it's value in "the Complete Price Guide") but still a fair offer.
I particularly like this case because it has "Elgin RR" on the case right under the crown.
I don't know of any other Elgin cases that say "Elgin RR" on them.
They look very nice.

Now I have to decide if I want to anger the "horological watch gods" and put
my 1913 19j 16s B W Raymond(that's in a wrong mismatched case with plastic crystal) into a early 1920's
high quality Elgin RR case.

Rob

Mikie T

Jun 25, 2012
Meridian, MS
Country
Region
Congrats Rob...!!
Sometimes if we plant a seed it can yield some fruit. Now you have a reputation at that antique store!

Mike

P.S. it is our responsibility to rescue as many pocket watches as we can during our lifetime.....LOL.
:D

Mikie T

Jun 25, 2012
Meridian, MS
Country
Region
Very nice Rob. I love those cases!!

Mike
:thumb:

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!