Elgin ratchet wheel orientation???

Buffomarinus

Mar 7, 2020
Far North Queensland, Australia
Country
G'Day all,

I have an 1895 Elgin 18s full plate (#5757934...grade 82) which I am restoring. I was just wondering if someone could verify the proper orientation of the ratchet wheel in relation to the barrel? The ratchet wheel has a center recess on one side and is dead flat on the other side. From the rub marks on the side with the recess, I would say that this recessed side should face away from the spring barrel (photo A) and towards the pocket in the pillar plate. Is my surmise correct, or should it go the other way around (photo B)? Someplace I read that some horrible things can happen to gears and gear teeth if you install it the wrong way around.

I've also added a photo of the pillar plate for reference.

Much appreciated,

Rob

FNQ,Au

Recess down.jpg Recess up.jpg Elgin frame.jpg

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Something tells me that recess is there for a reason. No other parts that fit between plate and ratchet wheel? The raised bushing in the mainplate suggests to me at least that the recess should be towards the pivot end of the arbor.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
A is correct!

You will notice the square on the flat side is chamfered, in order to help the arbor enter and go through.

Plus there is a model 3 sitting on my desk and I just checked it. Lol.

Buffomarinus

Mar 7, 2020
Far North Queensland, Australia
Country
G'Day Rick and Karl,

Many thanks for both your replies and assistance with this.

As soon as my oil/grease order gets here from Cousins, this little Yank gem is going back together!

Cheers,

Rob

FarNorthQueensland,Oz

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update