Elgin Quartz Pendulum Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by KurtinSA, Nov 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a 400-Day style clock, but since it's battery powered, figured it would be best in this forum area. I'm take a look into this to see if I can get it running for a friend...I probably won't go very deep, though. Just wanted to be sure that it was 1.5v power. It has some corrosion on the tension spring and positive battery terminal but I measured 1.5v at the two pads at the ends of the black and red wires, so it would appear it's getting power. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's much else I can do.

I might be on the look out for a similar movement as a replacement. But I think this is one of the "fancier" movements which actually has a thin suspension spring to drive the pendulum. Made by the Nisshin company in Japan.

Thanks...Kurt

JolynnFrt.jpg JolynnBck.jpg JolynnMvt.jpg

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These early electro-mechanic or quarz mvmts. usualy suffer from oxydated contact points,so clean the battery contacts and the points where the wires are soldered to the switchboard,use contact spray on a Q-tip.Does the step-motor click and move? take care not to distort the SS,they are hard to get new.
    Many of these are resurectable.
    Good luck
    Burkhard

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard -

I hear nothing with the 1.5v battery plugged in, and have traced the 1.5v around the circuit. I have gingerly tried to pull the movement out of the case, but am finding some resistance to it coming out. All in all, it doesn't look bad, but I can't really see what might be wrong.

I carefully took off the suspension spring. I have since determined that the suspension unit is #61A in the Terwilliger 400-Day clock repair guide. I agree...these are like hen's teeth!

Kurt

4. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I cannot see why this mvmt. shouldn´t come out after pulling the hands and undoing those two skrews.It could be that the mvmt, sits on a third post-besides the skrews- in a press-fit socket.After undoing all visible hindrances I´d gently pull the mvmt. straight out perhaps wiggle a verry little bit,cannot imagine that harm could be done this way.clock isn´t running,what´s to lose?
    Good luck!
    Burkhard

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's one clip that is down below the Nisshin name at about the 1:00 position. With screws out and that clip released, the whole movement moves out a bit but there's still something restraining it that I can't see. I'm just afraid to pull too hard. The clock is owned by a coworker and she doesn't really care about it...wants to use it to maybe teach her children how to tell time. But she said it was first bought by her grandmother. I respect the provenance and don't really want to break anything. It's still in my DNA to tinker and see if I can figure something out. But I do need to get to the backside of the movement to see what's there.

Kurt

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I finally was able to pull the movement completely out. That almost turned into a mistake as some wheels and arbors fell out. After much consternation, I was able to get things back in order. Whew!

I checked with a friend of mine and his suggestion re: the corrosion was to use some vinegar. So, I broke the cotton end off a cotton swap and used the stiff end of the swap to work on the battery terminals as well as the sets of pads on the left side of the board. I didn't really see much happening and figured it wouldn't really help. So, I stuck in the battery...voila...it began ticking! It has been for an hour or so. I reinstalled the suspension spring and managed to fit the pendulum...there were enough exposed threads to screw the pendulum back into the lower block. Even that has been working, although it seems that when the pendulum comes around for a full swing, an arm on the lower block bumps up against a stop and causes the pendulum to wobble a bit. Probably least of my worries.

So, I'll baby sit it for a while...see if it continues to run. I might have screwed with the speed adjustment while in there...it might not keep accurate time, but I might be able to easily go back in and tweak it. Not sure which way if F or S...guess I'll have to experiment about will first assume that CCW is to go faster and CW is to go slower.

Kurt

7. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    congrats to your success,persistence will prevail!! My recommendation is contact spray insted of vinegar,but as we say in our medical profession : those who heal are right! Often it´s a problem of light oxydation in the contact points ,I´ve rarely found one where the mvmt. realy is "shot".
    Burkhard