American PW Elgin PW Stem doesn't wind only sets time?

dice55

Jul 11, 2020
Country
I am puzzled by the fact on this Elgin PW when trying to wind, the stem is turning the hands to set the time whether its pulled out or pushed in. No winding action at all. I have looked on the side and its not a lever set type either. Any suggestions how to correct so i can wind it. IMG_3917.JPG IMG_3917.JPG
Grade: 317

Manufacturer: Elgin question.png
Manufacturer Location: Elgin, Illinois question.png
Movement Serial Number: 12768983 question.png
Grade: 317 question.png
Model: 5 question.png
Class: 106 question.png
Estimated Production Year: 1907 estimated production year of the movement within +/- 3 years" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border: none; outline: none; color: rgb(165, 76, 0); cursor: pointer;"> question.png
Run Quantity: 2,000 question.png
Grade/Model Run: 12 of 188 question.png
Total Production: 261,500 question.png
Size: 18s question.png
Jewels: 15j question.png
Jewel Setting: Screw-Set question.png
Movement Configuration: Openface
Hunting: The stem is at the 3:00 position, and the movement is meant to be mounted in a case that has a covering over the face. "Sidewinders" are hunting movements in openface cases." style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border: none; outline: none; color: rgb(165, 76, 0); cursor: pointer;"> question.png
Movement Finish: Nickel question.png
Movement Setting: Pendant question.png
Plate: Full Plate question.png
Barrel: Going question.png
Balance Type: Expansion question.png
Balance Jewel Material: Ruby question.png
Train: Quick question.png
Regulator: Moseley question.png
Hairspring: Breguet question.png
Standard Dial Type: Single-Sunk question.png
Adjusted: No question.png
Railroad Grade: No question.png
U.S. Patents: 77078, 347272 question.png
Data Research: 1909 Elgin Serial List
1915 Elgin Serial List
1927/1950 Elgin Serial L

Attachments

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
dice,
It is pendant set movement,so the stem is not going down into the watch far enough to engage the winding mechanism. It is to shallow ,so it only works the stetting mechanism.

You will need a Sleeve tool that adjust the sleeve so that the stem will go down into the clutch so it will wind, instead of being not deep enough, that is why it is only in the set mode.

This is a overall explanation of the problem, so you will have to become experienced in how a watch winds and sets. for pendant set watches

Reactions: John Runciman

dice55

Jul 11, 2020
Country
Thank you , yes i had the workings removed so it was just the case and the stem/crown left in it. Can you tell me how to remove the stem? to access the sleeve? Will it just pull out?
thanks

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Grasp the stem with a pair or pliers and unscrew the crown. You will then see the sleeve within the pendant. The sleeve wrench can then be used to turn it down slightly. (There is also a slight possibility that your sleeve is broken, so you might have to remove it and examine if the adjustment doesn't have any effect.)

dice55

Jul 11, 2020
Country
It worked perfectly, i will find the tool to try to fix. I appreciate all your help.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
If it worked perfectly and suddenly not, it could very well be a broken sleeve. Or, (hopefully not) a setting part within the watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maintainthestatusquo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner