• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Elgin pronunciation

steve_s

NAWCC Member
Oct 6, 2022
Country
Region
I apologize if this question appears stupid but how is Elgin pronounced? Is it like GIN the drink or GIN like Guenther? Sorry but new to collecting and I really don't know.

steve_s

NAWCC Member
Oct 6, 2022
Country
Region
Sorry that the question has been asked before but after reading that thread I know nothing more than before as it seems that both were pronunciations were reported by respondents.

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
The guy in the video is clearly getting it wrong ;-)
Maybe he was allowing his mind to drift onto what he'd like to drink after work? ;-)

Over here it's definitely a hard G as in the Elgin Marbles - Wikipedia

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
We’ll, I believe the question in post #1 is about the Elgin National Watch Co. located in Elgin Il. Having lived in northern Il. for over 80 years, the nice man in the video has it absolutely correct!

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I never knew that Elgin was pronounced in any other way but with a hard "g" until I spotted this post!

Given that, many words are pronounced in different ways betwixt USA and UK or even in different dialects.

steve_s

NAWCC Member
Oct 6, 2022
Country
Region
Well I sure did open a can of worms and had a good chuckle since it seems it's pronounced both ways depending on which side of the pond you are on or for what part of the country you are from for that matter. Guess for where I am the consensus is soft G

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Will the Elgin marbles remain the Elgin marbles when they are returned to Greece or will they become the Olympian marbles? :)

Reactions: Old rookie

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
In case anyone is wondering about what goes on in the Great White North, the prevalent Canadian practice (at least in the province of Ontario), is to pronounce "Elgin" with a hard "g" for example when referring to our Elgin County.

However chaps who are into watches such as myself pronounce the watch company's name with a soft "g" (after getting used to so doing). My view is that the Elgin company located in Elgin IL was an American phenomenon & thus common courtesy demands usage of the American pronunciation.

By the way ~ belated Happy Thanksgiving wishes to my American friends. And in case anyone is wondering in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving Day way earlier, back in October.

Reactions: musicguy

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Next we will be debating Longcase vs Tallcase....

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Next we will be debating Longcase vs Tallcase....
no debate... long is for length, tall refers to height. so, if your clock is installed lying on the ground, it's a longcase. :) if it's standing so that the pendulum is swinging and the horological math allows it to be in beat and running as it should, it's a tallcase. :rolleyes::)

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
If you think a G sounds like a J, I'm happy with that. Because it is about the context of the word in the sentence apart from its etymology.
Having lived in what we know of as the multiculturalverse, Hearing people ask how is it that words like wind and wind can be spelled/spelt the same way but sound so differently and mean different things?

Said the straight man, to the late man
Where have you been?

I talked to the wind,. My words were just, carried away.
I talked to the wind but the wind, did not hear.

Said the straight man;
Don't wind me up.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I apologize if this question appears stupid but how is Elgin pronounced? Is it like GIN the drink or GIN like Guenther? Sorry but new to collecting and I really don't know.
El and the very best Gin.
However, if you want to get into specifics, The origin of the word appearing to be Scot, then the rolling of the letter heard in brogue, could have both sounds.
As an aside, I was at school with others who were new chums as we called them back then. They had a few words but English was difficult for them.
We'd say switch on or turn on in relation to what they called open in relations to taps/faucets. They'd say, close in relation to switching or turning on the lights or the radio.

Can you comprehend that slight language shift that is still correct?

Last edited:

Brad Maisto

Oct 1, 2000
Grandview, IN
Country
Region
I surely won’t be “dropping” a like for the “UTube” video referenced in post #12. Born and raised in “El-Jin”, IllinoiS.
Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary (Now residing in the “Who’s-Ear” state)

LloydB

Feb 24, 2006
La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
Country
Region
EL 'J' IN >>>>Watch Company
G as in General Motors

EL 'G' IN >>>> Scottish Family and (related) Town
G as in 'Good Grief!'

The Scots/British pronunciation was a shock, first
encountered, while touring in the "Whisky Region".

Somewhere I have a KW Movement,
retailed in the town of Elgin.

Last edited:

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region

Homonyms, Homophones, Homographs and Heteronyms

And then there are contronyms.

Names have their own rules which are social rather than grammatical. If a person tells you his name is spelled George but pronounces it as others would pronounce William, that is his right. Of course the benefits are pretty small.

Marty101

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2007
Niagara Falls,N.Y.
Country
nd then there are contronyms.

Names have their own rules which are social rather than grammatical. If a person tells you his name is spelled George but pronounces it as others would pronounce William, that is his right. Of course the benefits are pretty small.
My Ingraham claims her name is pronounced "Patek". She identifies as an 18K chronograph.