Elgin pocket watch

David Scott

Dec 15, 2020
I am getting to be an old man and I have a very dear to me Elgin PW that belonged to my grandfather. My guess he bought it around 1920-30. He was very frugal so my guess it would not be worth a lot except to me. It worked until the 2000's when a housekeeper kept dropping it when she was cleaning. My fault for letting this happen repeatedly. I would like to get it in working condition. i ordered a suction tool to get the back off but could not do it. crystal is missing and hour hand. I am including pics and would like a recommendation on a pocket watch repair expert in the Auburn, AL area. thanks so much for the help you experts have given me in the past. AND Happy Easter. david
[ATTACHREUSE]

tempImage6Mq8iX.png tempImagelc99JM.png

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I am sure there are people on this mb that can repair your watch David. Happy Easter.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Sounds like the roller jewel came loose or broke for starter if the hour hand races around the watch after winding, after you get it open you will be able to assess the condition of the balance staff, see if the balance wobbles.

David Scott

Dec 15, 2020
this case measures 1 11/16 inches what size is this elgin? I see from the serial numbers it was made in 1918 and DUEBER made the case. looks to be solid gold but no markings. david

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi David,

Even if the roller jewel was damaged or completly missing, the pallets on the lever would lock the train and prevent it from running away as you describe, so perhaps a lever pivot, an escape pivot or even a pallet jewel is broken.

Regards,

Graham

David Scott

Dec 15, 2020
Got the name of Ed Ueberall for repair of the watch but he informed me he has retired. Is their anyone you all would recommend. I am located in Auburn, AL but not sure that makes that much difference. david

David Scott

Dec 15, 2020
so far broken jewel on the verge, broken staff, escape wheel pivot shortened and jagged. where can parts be obtained. david

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockmart.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre