Elgin pocket watch gold? available to me. Need help

Dan Kaye

Feb 11, 2011
Hi Forum. I am a tinkerer of watches and have a few old junk watches that I mess around with. I have the option of buying 3 Elgin watches and 2 Waltham watches. I am curious if one of the Elgin pocket watches may be 18k gold based on the stamp on the inside of the cover that pops open. Hopefully someone on this site may know what the possible value is of the watch and help me determine whether to buy it or not. Please see the pictures. They are not the greatest and I did not take many. Thanks to those that respond.

Pocket watches pic3.jpg Pocket watches pic4.jpg Pocket watches pic5.jpg Pocket watches pic6.jpg

Dan Kaye

Feb 11, 2011
I believe it is based on that pseudo hallmark.
So looking up this Blauer stamp, it is possible that this case is 18k gold. From the serial # this was made in 1884 size 16 and a grade 4. Well, maybe I should just by the lot of 5 watches that have been offered to me. 3 elgins and 2 walthams.

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Country
Region
The case ought to be 18k or close to it based on the stamping. Press the center of the case back to see if it flexes slightly. Compare how that feels compared to pressing the center of a gold-filled or base metal case. Gold cases almost always flex slightly; gold-filled or base metal cases generally don't.

As for value, the watch ought to be worth a small premium over the net scrap value of the case. I am not am suggesting that you scrap the case. The case is a very nice looking one. It is in a popular size -- 16. The case should live on even if another movement is installed in it. I say that because I don't think the movement is a highly collected one, and at least one collector -- me -- hates "sidewinders", i.e., hunting movements cased in open face cases. Weigh the case without the movement, knock off perhaps 10 grams for the crystal and other non-gold parts, calculate net scrap value using e.g., Gold Karat Calculator, Gold Prices | Karat Kalculator, and add $100-$200. That's about what I think the watch should be worth.

Reactions: MrRoundel

Dan Kaye

Feb 11, 2011
The case ought to be 18k or close to it based on the stamping. Press the center of the case back to see if it flexes slightly. Compare how that feels compared to pressing the center of a gold-filled or base metal case. Gold cases almost always flex slightly; gold-filled or base metal cases generally don't.

As for value, the watch ought to be worth a small premium over the net scrap value of the case. I am not am suggesting that you scrap the case. The case is a very nice looking one. It is in a popular size -- 16. The case should live on even if another movement is installed in it. I say that because I don't think the movement is a highly collected one, and at least one collector -- me -- hates "sidewinders", i.e., hunting movements cased in open face cases. Weigh the case without the movement, knock off perhaps 10 grams for the crystal and other non-gold parts, calculate net scrap value using e.g., Gold Karat Calculator, Gold Prices | Karat Kalculator, and add $100-$200. That's about what I think the watch should be worth.
I appreciate your suggestion with pressing on the cases to determine whether gold or gold filled . I plan to inspect these watches further today. If I purchase them, I don't think I would scrap them for the metal value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
April
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-