Elgin Pocket Watch Clutch Problem...

Bob Weit

Dec 30, 2020
Country
***Figured it out - the issue wasn't the clutch, rather the stem in the case needed adjustment. ***. I was going to just delete this post, but can't figure out how to get that accomplished..

No laughing, because I am sure it is something simple... I have an Elgin pocket watch, and the clutch is giving me fits. When I push the bench winder in, the clutch moves as it should the the winding position, and when I remove the bench winder, it moves to the setting position. But - the upper most gear (winding pinion?) on the clutch shaft will slide down and jam the teeth when in the setting position. I am sure it is something very simple that this novice is missing, and I greatly welcome any and all help ! Here are some photos to help explain what I am dealing with.

In this first photo, I have the bench winder pushed in, and the clutch is in the winding position - so far, so good...

IMG_9434.JPG

In this second photo, I have backed the bench winder out, and the clutch has dropped to the setting position - as it should. And note that the upper winding pinion gear is clear of the lower section (clutch?). Again, so far, so good..... But -
IMG_9435.JPG

In this third photo, I am pointing to the problem with the screwdriver - this winding pinion gear slides down on its own, and interferes with the setting action. All works great if that upper most winding pinion stays up, but gravity lets it drop and get in the way.

IMG_9436.JPG

Last edited:

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
Figured it out - the issue wasn't the clutch, rather the stem in the case needed adjustment
Keeping a discussion like this isn't an issue if people would do a search before asking a question. Providing it's titled a properly somebody might find help and realizing that the problem isn't where they're looking.

I've seen that in other discussion groups were somebody answered their own question and then they just did a reply of this is why found.

Reactions: Bob Weit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre