Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
DSCN3349.jpg DSCN3354.jpg DSCN3355.jpg DSCN3359.jpg DSCN3360.jpg DSCN3361.jpg

My newest find. I looked it up and it looks like it is a 1894 Doctors watch size 16 14k gold filled. I paid $20.00 for it not running, I am debating if it is worth it to keep it and get it fixed or if I should just sell it and let someone else deal with the hassle. Any info you guys can give me would be great. if I am wrong about the model, no problem, tell me what you know, thanks

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
What makes it a Doctor's watch?

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Well .......

..... I don't have No.4, but I do have a copy of No. 5, which is probably similar. I couldn't find a 7-jewel, 16-size Doctor's watch listed, but there are several 15-jewel listed and one is pictured.

I don't believe that you are applying the information in the book correctly. What makes those watches Doctor's watches is the addition of the sweep second hand to the otherwise common and ordinary movements. Without the sweep second hand, which your watch (serial number 5024461) lacks, it is just an run-of-the-mill, 7-jewel, grade No. 104 of which 136,000 were made.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Well .......

..... I don't have No.4, but I do have a copy of No. 5, which is probably similar. I couldn't find a 7-jewel, 16-size Doctor's watch listed, but there are several 15-jewel listed and one is pictured.

I don't believe that you are applying the information in the book correctly. What makes those watches Doctor's watches is the addition of the sweep second hand to the otherwise common and ordinary movements. Without the sweep second hand, which your watch (serial number 5024461) lacks, it is just an run-of-the-mill, 7-jewel, grade No. 104 of which 136,000 were made.
I only know what my book said, but if you see there is a doctors watch why did you pretend in your previous post you didn't hear of one? Thanks for the info, sounds good, you left out the year though?

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Russel, the year is approximately 1894 give or take a year or two. Whether you have the watch repaired or not will depend a lot on what is wrong with it. Just to clean and reoil the watch will probably run at least $100 plus parts and to tell you the truth, you can probably pick up a running movement and put it in the case for less than that.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Russel, the year is approximately 1894 give or take a year or two. Whether you have the watch repaired or not will depend a lot on what is wrong with it. Just to clean and reoil the watch will probably run at least $100 plus parts and to tell you the truth, you can probably pick up a running movement and put it in the case for less than that.
Thanks this was the info I was looking for, pocket watches are not really my area. Antiques wall and shelf clocks are, thanks

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
... if you see there is a doctors watch why did you pretend in your previous post you didn't hear of one? ...
Russell:

I wasn't pretending that I didn't hear of a Doctor's watch. I apologize if my question wasn't worded well. I should have asked something like "Why do you think it is a Doctor's watch?"

I could see that it didn't have a sweep second hand and I was wondering if there was something not showing in the pictures that indicated to you that it was a Doctor's watch; an inscription or perhaps some other marking on the plate.

Should you need watch information in the future, the Encyclopedia articles listed in these links may also be helpful to you, especially the items and links listed in each article's References section.

American Watch Makers
Watch Case Makers

good luck,

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
I only know what my book said, but if you see there is a doctors watch why did you pretend in your previous post you didn't hear of one? Thanks for the info, sounds good, you left out the year though?
Russell,

As Kent said...but maybe not strongly enough...you are reading your book incorrectly. This is not a doctors' watch. It is not even close to being a doctor's watch. As with generalist clock books it is easy to be misled by the photos and illustrations in the Complete Guide. There are many complete books...thick books on Elgin Pocket Watches. There is no way the Guide can have all of the information but Kent is correct. The thing that distinguishes a "Doctor's Watch" is a center mounted sweep second hand for taking people's pulse. It has very little to do with the shape of the movement.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Russell,

As Kent said...but maybe not strongly enough...you are reading your book incorrectly. This is not a doctors' watch. It is not even close to being a doctor's watch. As with generalist clock books it is easy to be misled by the photos and illustrations in the Complete Guide. There are many complete books...thick books on Elgin Pocket Watches. There is no way the Guide can have all of the information but Kent is correct. The thing that distinguishes a "Doctor's Watch" is a center mounted sweep second hand for taking people's pulse. It has very little to do with the shape of the movement.
way to come to the party late and pile on a fact we all know already, but it is the thought that counts

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Russell if you like the watch and wish to use it, likely someone can clean and oil for not a high price.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Russel, if you are interested, this is a grade 84 Elgin doctor's watch. All the Elgin doctors' watches look the same except that some are gilt instead of nickel. Sometimes the sweep wheel is polished and gold plated.
Grade84mvt2.jpg Grade84front.jpg

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
It was a great deal, but we are just statiing that to get it fixed right now is an unknown as to what is wrong with the watch. The resale value will be well under the repair costs if anything is broken but if you plan on keeping it, then the cost is justified.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
So far I was right with about everything I said except for it being a Doctors model. That is the only new info I gained from all this banter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nacht Kreatur
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre