Elgin Montgomery dial verification

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by newrailway, Sep 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. newrailway

newrailway Registered User

Sep 5, 2017
    Hi all,

I've got this on the way, it's a grade 337 Elgin and I was wondering if anyone could give me some more infor on the dial?

It looks to me like a Montgomery as all the seconds are on the dial.

If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated. I am a novice just starting out so any info is welcome!

Thanks.
    View attachment 355673 View attachment 355674

2. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Welcome to the Message Board.

Your watch is a "sidewinder", that is, a hunter movement in an open face case. The dial is a marginal minute dial as are the Montgomery dials, but if memory serves correctly a true Montgomery dial has a 6 in the seconds sub-dial. Marginal minute dials came in many variations depending on the manufacturer. I suggest you use the search function and look for threads on Montgomery dials and marginal minute dials.

3. newrailway

Sep 5, 2017
    Thanks for the reply, I will check out those threads now.

A question relating to the 'side winder' aspect, were watches ever cased from new in this set up? Or was it swapped at a later date?

4. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    #4 musicguy, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Nice three finger bridge Elgin

Since these watches were not cased at the factory, but at a jeweler,
    I would think it was possible("ever" is a strong word). I would also think that(over the many years)
    many nice Hunter cases were scraped(for gold /silver value), worn out(broken), taken from lower grade
    watches and used for higher grade watches, and eventually because of these factors
    the hunter movement made it into an OF case.

I would say yours most likely swapped out, it does look like
    there are other case screw marks. I'm sure some Hunter movememnts
    were transferred from their original cases to new OF cases
    and lived out their lives in them(without extra screw marks).

RE Montgomery dial
    Since your watch isn't Railroad grade, I think your dial
    on a gentleman's watch(G M Wheeler) was to look similar to a Montgomery dial.
    Probably very stylish back then.

Rob

5. newrailway

Sep 5, 2017
    Great thanks very much for the info Rob, very helpful!

6. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    As hunting-case watches fell out of favor during the first decade of the twentieth century, a large number of hunting movements which had been in inventory at the watch companies for years were discounted fairly heavily. The jewelers placed these in inexpensive open-face cases and sold far below the original prices.

In some instances, the watch companies, particularly Waltham, facilitated this by furnishing conversion dials like the one shown below.

Also, you might find these explanations of Marginal Minute and Montgomery Dials to be helpful.

[​IMG]

7. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    newrailway, your dial is a Elgin factory replacement dial, that was available for over 20 years after the factory closed. These NOS dials were available until the 1990s, or even later.

8. newrailway

Sep 5, 2017
    Thanks very much guys!