• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Elgin M-56a Watch Oil Poster/Instructions

BobbyMacStevenson

Mar 17, 2021
Country
Hello wonderful community,

I’m not sure if this has been posted here before, but I’ve come across a bottle of Elgin M-56a watch oil manufactured in April of 1944 and, with it, came a poster that has instructions for use that I’ve posted with this for historical and research purposes.

This oil is very unlike modern natural oils. It’s not gummy, sticky or anything that would suggest it’s gone bad, it’s just… different - no smell, thin yet thick, sticky yet slippery.
It has a very light amber colour, almost like 7up or ginger ale, but with a different, thicker consistency.

Preliminary tests suggest that this oil, despite the disdain I’ve seen it get here and elsewhere (as compared to M-56b), would seem to me to be quite a satisfactory oil, at least for the 3rd, 2nd, escape, and balance wheels, as well as pallet jewels - but I am not an expert, just some guy who likes his period items.

Keep in mind that I have heard M-56b is better, however, I cannot compare M-56a to M-56b as I can’t seem to find a bottle of M-56b.

Anyways, enjoy the poster.
I hope I’ve helped somebody somewhere down the line.

D11A2E55-7825-43AA-93A9-08D6D172E6B6.jpeg

Reactions: EscapeWheel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseysomm
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-