• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

American PW Elgin jumping from Wind Position to Set position on its own

wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
Hudson, Quebec
Country
Region
I am revisiting a watch I worked on a long time ago. It is a pretty basic size 6 elgin, but I like it because it is in a Hunter case and it has a fancy dial, Serial # 5040594.

I have it running very well, good amplitude, keeps great time, but it has one major problem. It will not remain in wind mode. It is a stem wind, stem set watch, and it will jump out of wind mode on its own. Two problems with this: 1) To wind it, I have to put downwards pressure on the crown to keep it engaged. 2) More seriously, when it slips out of wind mode while running, the hands no longer keep time.

I have attached a picture of the mechanism below. All the springs appear to be in the correct place. The watch switches from wind to set and back very smoothly, but it will just not stay in wind mode. Could this be something to do with the sleeve? I have adjusted the sleeve depth so that the stem is at the correct depth to wind the watch, but could the sleeve not doing it's job by keeping the stem down in set mode? (This is the only answer i can come up with after working on this problem for far too long!).

D5FFCCDE-1E33-40D4-BF4C-1F6AF2F08646.jpeg

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Just a wild stab at it.

I recently acquired a 12s Elgin which was behaving strangely in terms of winding/setting. Upon close examination I found a small lever adjacent to the pillar plate. Lo & behold the watch had one of those mechanisms allowing it to be forced to stay in winding mode when removed from the case. And the little lever was only partly engaged thus the setting mechanism continued to interfere.

After figuring out which way the lever needed to be to allow the watch to return to its normal uncased state of being in setting mode, the watch functioned wonderfully!

NC Plumber

Jan 15, 2011
Country
I've encountered stems that were worn down enough that the sleeve was unable to hold it in position.

wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
Hudson, Quebec
Country
Region
Yes, it was the sleeve. It was worn to the point where it wouldn't hold the stem in set mode. Replaced it and the watch is now running happily!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-