• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Elgin Father Time

T

TFranklin

Hello watch experts!

I have recently been given an old watch that
I do NOT want to sell. I'm also curious as to the quality
etc.. I think it's a nice one. Your expert opinions with the information I can give are appreciated. I understand that without a physical inspection it's just a "guess".

Elgin
FatherTime
Serial Number:20776887
21 JEWELS, ADJUSTED 5POSITIONS
Case:FORTUNE GOLD FILLED 1846543
(Screw on back and front crystal)

After some study I believe the following
to be other features not mentioned on the
watch itself (helped by old jeweler):

gold balance weight
gold jewel setting
gold train
special regulator
golden lettering

I think the fancy engraving on what is called
the "movement" is damaskeering? or something like that.

Basically, it works great and keeps awesome time. The crystal is perfect. The case looks good too but has some faint scratches.

Tick tick tick tick...

-Terry

[This message has been edited by Howard Gunderson (edited 05-30-2002).]

T

TFranklin

Hello watch experts!

I have recently been given an old watch that
I do NOT want to sell. I'm also curious as to the quality
etc.. I think it's a nice one. Your expert opinions with the information I can give are appreciated. I understand that without a physical inspection it's just a "guess".

Elgin
FatherTime
Serial Number:20776887
21 JEWELS, ADJUSTED 5POSITIONS
Case:FORTUNE GOLD FILLED 1846543
(Screw on back and front crystal)

After some study I believe the following
to be other features not mentioned on the
watch itself (helped by old jeweler):

gold balance weight
gold jewel setting
gold train
special regulator
golden lettering

I think the fancy engraving on what is called
the "movement" is damaskeering? or something like that.

Basically, it works great and keeps awesome time. The crystal is perfect. The case looks good too but has some faint scratches.

Tick tick tick tick...

-Terry

[This message has been edited by Howard Gunderson (edited 05-30-2002).]

A

abereiter

Terry, Sounds like a nice watch. You can more information at Waynes Elgin website midwestcs.com He has a wealth of info there. After looking up the serial no. you can click in the search ebay logs to get an idea what that grade sells for. Remember all the watches in his data base are in various conditions and some were sold cheep and some for too much. But you can get a ballpark idea. All said it sounds like a nice watch. Keep it, show it and use it but, most of all enjoy it. If you plan to use it I would recomend a clean and oil by a competent watch maker. If you need one I am sure someone here can help. Enjoy that Elgin, Aaron

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Terry:

I guess that by now you've learned that your watch was built in about 1917. That turns out to be convenient becasue Wayne's Elgin website has scans of a distributor catalog, the Oskamp-Nolting 1917 Catalog in the picture gallery. I noticed that you asked about the quality of your watch, not the value, so this catalog is particularly useful to you. Pages E4 & E5 show the 16-size movements. You can see that the Father Time grade is right up there with the other high grade railroad watches. Its not at the top, but its in the top tier and is quite a respectable movement. Make note of the fact that its sold as a movement only. The ultimate buyer would have to select and purchase a case at the time of sale.

If your case doesn't say so, you may be interested to learn that its Canadain-made. So, there's a good chance that your watch was used in railroad service in Canada.

All-in-all, I'd be proud of it, its a very respectable watch.

Kent :)

A

abereiter

Hunt around e-bay find a few similar to it and watch em' This might give you an idea. Just a thought, Aaron

[This message has been edited by abereiter (edited 05-30-2002).]

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Wayne:

I guess that the editing left the intent a little vague. Oh well, better luck next time.

Kent

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Insurance appraisals represent the price one would have to pay to replace the item on short notice as a retail purchase. In general the value is twice the "quick sale" price that one could expect to be paid for the item by a dealer in such merchandise.

If you watch the British version of Antique Road Show you will see that they often give both appraisals for an item. Especially if it is something that is very unlikely to be offered for sale.

------------------
Tom McIntyre
Past President, NAWCC Chapters 174 and 87
Member Chapters 8, 87, 149, 159, 161 and 174
NAWCC: Crafts Committee, Web Committee
Pocket Horology Web
Tommy the JOAT's Web

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
car-nut1