• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Elgin dial post clocking ?

Ned L

Feb 3, 2009
N.E. CT
Country
I have a cir WWI small chronometer or torpedo boat gimballed watch case with an Elgin dial in it (along with the lever for lever set). These hold size 18S open face movements.
Is there any way to identify the clocking of the dial posts so I can find a movement that the dial will fit?
I tried buying a railroad grade movement of about the same era but the dial post clocking is different. ...Now I need to pick up a case for the railroad grade movement. At least I didn’t pay much for it. :)

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Take a picture of the back of the dial, and measure the diameter. This will help us figure it out.

What movement did you buy that didn't work? Full plate or 3/4 plate?

Here is the Elgin dial feet chart from 1915. Few different 18s dials.

This should help sort things out, unless someone comes along who knows the exact watch you mention.
Screenshot_20200926-222157.png

Pay particular attention to the model 7, and model 8 differences, which is where I'm guessing your problem lies.

Last edited:

George Frick

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2016
Country
Region
I know so little. I seems to me that the model 8 dial fits 3/4 plate and the model 7 fits full plate.
At least that is how my Father Time watches are.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
George,
Exactly.

With 18s:
Elgin models define the plate design and setting mechanisms.

The 3/4 plate watches are model 8&9 and use different dials from the full plate models, which are 1-5 and 7. Model 6 (the "convertible") dials are different from both.

Fun, isn't it?

Im not much of a gambler, but I'm willing to bet our poster is looking for a model 8. A grade 240 perhaps, or something along those lines. That's why I was curious about what he purchased that didn't fit.

George Frick

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2016
Country
Region
Rick, I am aware of a free sprung 18s 3/4 plate Father Time deck watch of ww1 era. The lookup says grade 367. I am just starting to learn about free sprung. Might be correct for the gimball?

Ned L

Feb 3, 2009
N.E. CT
Country
Thank you. I figured there was a “secret decoder ring” involved.
When I get home I will measure the dial pins and clocking.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I'm going to move this thread to watch repair

Rob

Ned L

Feb 3, 2009
N.E. CT
Country
Thank you.

..... I was drawing a blank last night,... “deck watch” is a more appropriate term than chronometer for these small gimbaled watches.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp705
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit