Elgin...Anyone recognize?

flynwill

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
flynwill.com
Country
Region
I don't know the model number but I'll wager it is from the 1950s, and you will find that is has a swiss-made automatic movement in it when it gets to you.

flynwill

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
flynwill.com
Country
Region
Also on your watch the "ELGIN" is a very distinctive art-deco font. I can't tell if the watch in the add is using that or not, but if you are searching old ads I'd keep an eye out for that detail as it may help narrow down the time frame. When you get the watch knowing which of the 3 or 4 different 17J Swiss auto movements that Elgin used is in it might help as well.

GeneJockey

NAWCC Member
Mar 2, 2012
San Francisco Peninsula
gjselgins.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I'm not sure at what point Elgin started putting '17' on the dial, but I think it would have been after they stopped making their own 17j movements, so >1958. No 'E', so probably pre-1965, unless the dial was redone. Beyond that, I don't know. At that point, Elgin was not only importing movements and casing them, they may also have been importing cased watches - I've sen cases from this era that are stamped "Swiss" on the inside, but still had an Elgin 4-digit model number.

Our information dries out in the late 1950s. No catalogs, only limited ads. I found a bunch of 1950s and early 1960s newspaper ads and saved them, but that's about it for information. Diveboy has a case model/movement crossreference guide from 1963, but it doesn't give names. Once you get this, and get it open, you can post the case model number and movement grade, and add to the database!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S. Attar
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller