Elgin 725 electronic

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Steve Maddox, Aug 13, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

In an old Elgin manual I have, the Elgin 725 is listed as an 8/0, 15j, electric movement. Since the copyright on the page with this particular listing is 1962, these appear to have been introduced about that time or shortly before, and they were probably Elgin's "answer" to Hamilton's 500 and 505 models.

All I have is a description and a parts list, without any pictures or specific information about adjusting these, but the parts list shows three jewels that could perhaps be described as "roller jewels." These are designated as "Jewel Pin, Contact," "Jewel Pin, Deflecting," and "Jewel Pin, Indexing." From what I gather, they probably operate similar to the way a Hamilton 505 does.

Of course, you can almost certainly assume that at least one of the "roller" jewels has to interact with the index wheel, so setting the "beat" where that readily happens should give you a good starting place. If it's like most electric watches, it probably won't start on it's own unless it has some sort of "hack" mechanism, and you may have to start it by swiftly rotating the movement.

I know this probably won't help much, but maybe it?s better than nothing.

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas