Elgin 6s Impulse Jewel

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by pcbguy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pcbguy

pcbguy Registered User

Oct 29, 2019
    Paramedic
    Melbourne, FL
    Country Flag:
    Hello all.

New to this so I may be missing an obvious answer here.

I was reassembing an Elgin 6s and realized that the impulse jewel was missing. Looked to actually be broken off clean.

I read a bunch about how to remove one and shellac a new one in. Doesn't seem like something for the faint of heart, and since I'm a newbie I thought I better ask first.

Does anyone know of someone in the Orlando area that can do this type of work? Or am I better off getting another one and replacing the whole assembly?

Thank you!

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Hi pcbguy,

Welcome to the NAWCC forum. I moved your post to our
    watch repair section where you will get a better response.

Rob

3. pcbguy

pcbguy Registered User

Oct 29, 2019
    Paramedic
    Melbourne, FL
    Country Flag:
    Thank you! Sorry about that!

4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    My pleasure I hope someone will answer your question.

Rob

5. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IF you can find a jewel, you'll need to order it in the correct size. That means you'll need to measure the pallet fork and subtract a couple thou. You can try and grab a parts movement and use the roller table from that, just measure the roller and your fork to be sure it'll fit. You can enlarge the fork if necessary.

Anyone can repair/replace/fix a roller jewel. The first time I did it I used my staking tool and a lump of rodico to hold the jewel in the hole in a stake. I "tinned" the roller table with shellac and a soldering iron then put it on the tool anvil, slid the roller/stake down and aligned everything, touched the soldering iron to the roller to heat the shellac, and it all went into place very neatly and straight. I keep thinking I need to make a special stake for doing this - one that has a hole drilled in the nose, half the metal on the nose removed to leave half the drilled hole as a recess, and then a "clip" put on the stake to hold the jewel in the recess during installation in the RT. (yes I know there are specialized tools for this. This just fits with my "how to repair something" mentality.)

As for who can do the work in your area, I have no idea other than to look in the yellow pages and ask.

6. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:

Please do not do this, it is a no no, very poor practice:(

7. pcbguy

pcbguy Registered User

Oct 29, 2019
    Paramedic
    Melbourne, FL
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the info! Not sure this is something I can tackle, at least not at this time. Finding another roller table may be my best option.

Good to know how though.