Marine: Elgin 600 Chronometer SN 2

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Ralph, Dec 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #1 Ralph, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    While viewing Elgin related videos on youtube, I came across this video:

The Eye on Elgin "The Elgin Watch Company"

About 1:20-1:21 into it, they show Elgin No.2 on display. I could not quite make out the card, attributing a donation by a Sylvia(?) Malone(?).

Whitney's, Military Timepieces, has an image of the same chronometer, which seems to be a factory image.

I tried to capture the images from the video.

Elgin#2a.jpg Elgin#2b.jpg

I assume No 2 is still available for viewing at the Elgin Museum.

Ralph

Brad Maisto likes this.
  2. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph,
    I grew up in Elgin and was a member of the Elgin Historical Society for several years and it has been a few years since I was in their museum. The museum has limited hours so if you go, be sure to call ahead. Bill Briska can probably provide more information to you on how they obtained the number “2” marked Elgin 600 chronometer. I have Mike Alft’s history book, he was a long time history teacher at Elgin High School, local historian and former Mayor of Elgin. I never had any relatives that worked at the factory even though I lived in Elgin from 1954 to 1979. The Elgin Observatory is still in the Town, now part of the school district because of it’s planetarium.
    As an aside, there have been many Elgin 600 “parts & pieces” chronometers sold on that huge internet auction website, see the other link I started a couple years back. I started collecting pocketwatches because my mother had given me her father’s dress Elgin pocketwatch, he had been a farmer in Burlington. When my father returned to Elgin after WW-II, he bought a Certina wristwatch which I have some where. I eventually also inherited my paternal grandfather’s pocketwatch, an Ingersoll Reliance.
    Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary
    P. S. Thanks for sharing that link to the Elgin video.