• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Elgin 571

mikeh

Mar 5, 2001
Bill,

This is due to a bad/missing/wrong stem or sleeve, or a combination of both.

It's a relatively simple task to repair, but you usually have to remove the movement from the case, and it really helps to have a sleeve wrench if removal or adjustment of the sleeve is necessary, although on my first one I filed on a screwdriver tip for a little while and made something that actually worked pretty well. Wasn't much to look at though!

The other problem you have is finding the right parts because you just about need a stash of stems/sleeves to find the right combination. However, if your watch is a factory cased version, it may be a little easier finding what you need. In other words, just knowing exactly what type of case it is as opposed to a run-of-the-mill 16s case will make it easier to identify the correct set that you need.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
The Elgin 571 has a Swiss style stem, attached directly to the movement. If you hold the watch upright, there's a screw that tightens in the stem retainer plate which, holds the stem, at the 11 o'clock position. This may be merely loose.

However, a weak point in the design is that the stem retainer plate had a tendency to strip its screw threads, allowing the stem and crown to fall out. Some careful work is needed to close and retap the hole, but this leaves the retainer plate threads weaker than before. You may consider returning the watch if the threads are stripped instead of the screw only being loose.

The plate is no longer an available spare part. A number of 571's have bben converted to pendent-setting, using the parts for the pendant-setting grades 574 and 575. S. LaRose has been selling a kit of parts with which to do this for years. See the April 2000 Bulletin, page 223.

Kent :)

mikeh

Mar 5, 2001
Oops... I don't know what I was thinking. I was just explaining this to someone else the other day! https://mb.nawcc.org/

Regards,
Mike

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Another weak point is the pin on the detent plate.

I had one that was sheared off. I was able to find a scrap movement and use the detent plate from it.

The pin could probably be remade, but it sure is small!!

[and i think that is what the part is called]