Elgin 571 - micro regulator

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
I recently acquired an Elgin 571 grade RR pocket watch. It is running a little slow and I wish to adjust the micro regulator. All my other pocket watches have an "F" on one side of the adjuster (needle pointer) and an "S" on the other side. This watch has the "F" above the "S" on the same side (the right) of the micro adjuster needle. Can someone please explain the adjuster to me?

Thanks, Jeff

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Move the screw toward the "F" to speed it up, and toward the "S" to slow it down.

It threw me off the first time I adjusted one, too.

MFRC1956

Dec 9, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Country
Region
When you move the tip of the regulator pin towards the F and S it will make the hairspring longer and the movement will run slower, if moved away from the F and S it will make the hairspring shorter and make the watch run faster.

I see Ben was faster, nice and short explanation Ben!

Michael

JeffL

Jul 19, 2010
Thanks, Very helpful with the picture. My 571 (1950) also has the stainless steel case. Was that common on this model?? Jeff

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
In the data base of reported railroad watches (and other interesting watches) that Ed Ueberall and I maintain, out of slightly over 400 BWR No. 571 watches whose case material is reported, about 30 are in stainless steel cases. That's about 7.5%. Since these were the least expensive of the cases available for the watch, one would think that the percentage would be greater, but such was not the case (so to speak).

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
As an aside, please note that it's my understanding that all original cases will have a crescent-shaped notch milled out of the case frame by the regulator screw to enable easier adjustment.

The case on my watch(above) is of the correct style and is signed "Cased and timed by the Elgin National Watch Company", but I don't believe it to be original based on the absence of this slot.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
I believe Ben to be right in that the correct case for a No. 571 should have notch in the case rim for regulator screw clearance. Earlier No. 571 cases lack the case model number (3057 for the stainless steel case), but later cases have it. 84921.jpg

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions