• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

American PW Elgin, 12s, Grade 345, Mainspring

horologintex

May 8, 2007
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
Hi Folks!

Need some help on the correct mainspring size for an Elgin Pocket Watch. The serial number is 26313570, and from www.elginwatches.org I have determined that it is a 12s, 17j, grade 345. But I cannot find what size mainspring I need for replacement. Also, I have heard that the manufacturer(s) of replacement PW mainsprings have stopped production because it was no longer profitable. Is this true? And what remaining sources are there for replacement mainsprings:???:?

Thanks (mainly a clock guy, but have taken the FSW Pocket watch class several times...)

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
This is one of those grades that changed midstream. Early models used the #1720 and later models used the #2339. My guess is that your SN is late enough that your watch would need the #2339, although this is not clear in the Elgin material book. If you have your old mainspring out, you can measure it to get a definite answer. The #1720 is 2.23mm wide whereas the #2339 is 2.05mm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracy K
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry