Electric Neon Clock repair

TC3819

Sep 22, 2013
I am repairing an Electric Neon Clock Co. clock and one of the neon tubes has no electrical wiring coming from one end, my question is should both ends have electrical wires protruding from them. If so is there a way to repair that?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I am repairing an Electric Neon Clock Co. clock and one of the neon tubes has no electrical wiring coming from one end, my question is should both ends have electrical wires protruding from them. If so is there a way to repair that?
Yes, a neon glow discharge lamp or tube must have two electrical connections in order for current to flow to, from and through the device.

Further, the neon lamp must be completely air-tight and enclosed with only the connecting wire at each end exposed. The glass tube is completely evacuated and only a small amount of neon or other inert glow gas is allowed to remain in the tube.

Repair of neon lamps is a specialty not a part of clock repair businesses although there are advertising clock manufacturers, and possibly one or more shops equipped to repair neon tubes. Making and repairing neon lamps is an "art."

A relative has a neon sign business. He regularly receives requests for repair of all kinds of neon including popular beer and other beverage signs. Most of the more popular current trade mark neons are mass produced and kept in stock. He quickly quotes repair of these popular brand neons, then simply orders a brand new replacement at far less cost than he can repair a broken neon tube.

I cannot recommend a neon lamp repairer but nearly every city has a neon sign servicer.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
As long as the seal has not been broken and it is just that the wire
has broken off close to the glass seal, it can be made to work again.
Tie the bare end of a wire around the end. Got to your local auto parts
store and get a window heater repair kit.
Paint the end with the broken wire to the wire you wrapped. Make
sure the paint makes contact at both ends or it will arc and need
to be painted again.
Tinker Dwight

Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
Oakland, CA
Country
Region
If there is any length of wire still exiting the electrode (i.e. if both wires are not cleanly broken off), you might consider this: http://prosites-llcwccd.homestead.com/ELECTRODESAVER.html . Note that they only have 12mm or 15mm in stock - you'll need to know the diameter of your tube's end to see if one or the other will fit. And this type of cap will only work where the tube end is placed in a glass housing, the type with the metal spring contact at the bottom (such as these: http://prosites-llcwccd.homestead.com/GLASSHOUSINGS.html). You may have to have a new tube made - most neon shops will not repair old neon, as there is usually a small amount of mercury in the tube.

TC3819

Sep 22, 2013
If there is any length of wire still exiting the electrode (i.e. if both wires are not cleanly broken off), you might consider this: http://prosites-llcwccd.homestead.com/ELECTRODESAVER.html . Note that they only have 12mm or 15mm in stock - you'll need to know the diameter of your tube's end to see if one or the other will fit. And this type of cap will only work where the tube end is placed in a glass housing, the type with the metal spring contact at the bottom (such as these: http://prosites-llcwccd.homestead.com/GLASSHOUSINGS.html). You may have to have a new tube made - most neon shops will not repair old neon, as there is usually a small amount of mercury in the tube.
Thanks, I have never seen anything like that before. However my wires are broken all the way down inside the glass! I think I may have to have new tubes made!

TC3819

Sep 22, 2013
Thank you! I may have to have new tubes made!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billraffy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller