• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Electric gallery clock identification

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi I was sent these pictures of a gallery wall clock that is in need of repair. Im having a hard time identifying the movement type. I see its electric.
Not sure if its a pulse type that gets an electric signal or independent movement. They told me they were not aware of an additional controller ect.
Here are the few pics they sent me

IMG_1612.jpeg IMG_1615.jpeg IMG_1616.jpeg

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Jeff!

I feel certain you'll find this is a "slave" or "secondary" movement, driven by a pulse. Not sure whose manufacture. Close-up pictures may help.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Jeff!

I feel certain you'll find this is a "slave" or "secondary" movement, driven by a pulse. Not sure whose manufacture. Close-up pictures may help.

Best regards!

Tim Orr
Thanks Tim, these are the only pictures sent to me from the contractor downtown. I was kind of leaning that way too. I’ve asked them to check for some master type controller

Regards
Jeff

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
This is one of the versions of IBM's (ITR) model type 563 heavy duty movements. They were used on the outside of buildings or in street clocks. They were made to move the very large hands your clock seems to have. They work the same as the ITR model type 561's but designed with stronger locking parts because of the large hands. It is a self correcting three wire impulse movement and will work with all the IBM master clocks systems you see on this form. See: https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Developme...-IBM-Minute-Impulse-Secondary-Clock-Movements , for more information.

If the coil voltage is unknown, there may be markings on the coil wrapper with the coil voltage, so look there. The line below will be the current and voltage requirements from the Reference Manuel of Electrical Characteristics for this model. There a couple of options to get this clock running.

Model type Name

563-2

Indicating Clock Movement

.333 amps @ 12 V

.171 amps @ 24 V

Approximate coil resistance is 36 ohms (@ 4 watts).

Last edited:

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
It looks like your A/B contact set has been bypassed but it has the capability to be a self correcting three wire secondary. The red and white wires seem to go directly to the coils. so use C for white and red for A. the polarity does not really matter to the coil. I grabbed this from my PDF article about electronic masters. See if it will help you determine if the movement will work. These things are real tough and I expect it will still work. I will polish this PDF up later but posted this draft so you can get started. Joe

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Country
Region
Great information I really appreciate this. Im going to reach out to the building contractor about the location is so of the master clock to this.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMW24
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit