electric clock repair help?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by bobgold, Dec 24, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bobgold

bobgold Guest

I have an advertising clock from the 1940's that needs motor replacement. Is there anyone here who knows the best way to go about this? Thanks.

2. bobgold

bobgold Guest

I have an advertising clock from the 1940's that needs motor replacement. Is there anyone here who knows the best way to go about this? Thanks.

3. bobgold

bobgold Guest

4. bobgold

bobgold Guest

5. mrb

mrb Guest

depends on the clock and motor.

6. mrb

mrb Guest

depends on the clock and motor.

7. Tom Kloss

Tom Kloss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    Retired from one job, started another.
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please post a picture of the clock and motor assembly.

Tom

8. Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please post a picture of the clock and motor assembly.

Tom

9. bobgold

bobgold Guest

10. bobgold

bobgold Guest

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob - that does not look like a motor you're likely to find parts for, and it would be a real shame to replace it with a modern motor. You might be able to get it rebuilt at an electric motor repair business. That would preserve the original look of the clock and prevent a large loss of it's value to collectors.

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob - that does not look like a motor you're likely to find parts for, and it would be a real shame to replace it with a modern motor. You might be able to get it rebuilt at an electric motor repair business. That would preserve the original look of the clock and prevent a large loss of it's value to collectors.

13. bobgold

bobgold Guest

i've had this clock since 1974 and was able to get going then by rewiring. it has lights inside.

It worked for some years following that, but now the motor/movement isn't doing the job. Not sure what's wrong. I'm a clock novice but also a do it yourselfer.

what i can tell you about the motor is that it's 115 volts and there's a manual start for the movement.

Do you think it's possible to take a motor/movement from another clock and transplant it?

Bob

14. bobgold

bobgold Guest

i've had this clock since 1974 and was able to get going then by rewiring. it has lights inside.

It worked for some years following that, but now the motor/movement isn't doing the job. Not sure what's wrong. I'm a clock novice but also a do it yourselfer.

what i can tell you about the motor is that it's 115 volts and there's a manual start for the movement.

Do you think it's possible to take a motor/movement from another clock and transplant it?

Bob

15. mrb

mrb Guest

Aslong as the coil is good this is a simple clock to clean and oil.

16. mrb

mrb Guest

Aslong as the coil is good this is a simple clock to clean and oil.

17. bobgold

bobgold Guest

how do you determine if the coil is good?

18. bobgold

bobgold Guest

how do you determine if the coil is good?

19. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't quite tell from your picture, but it looks like a rotor and field type set-up. If it is, you can tell if the field is good by putting a srewdriver up to it to see if there is any magnetism with the power on. If it attracts, the field is good. ( This is an old punch clock field test).
    Harold

20. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't quite tell from your picture, but it looks like a rotor and field type set-up. If it is, you can tell if the field is good by putting a srewdriver up to it to see if there is any magnetism with the power on. If it attracts, the field is good. ( This is an old punch clock field test).
    Harold

21. stewart

stewart Registered User

Aug 25, 2004
  22. stewart

stewart Registered User

Aug 25, 2004
  23. Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a Hammond clock motor. They did a lot of advertising clocks. Try an Ebay search for " Hammond clock " Most of the time the problem with them is not the motor but the first gear the motor pinion drives. It's made out of fiber and the teeth break.

Tom

24. Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a Hammond clock motor. They did a lot of advertising clocks. Try an Ebay search for " Hammond clock " Most of the time the problem with them is not the motor but the first gear the motor pinion drives. It's made out of fiber and the teeth break.

Tom

25. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
    Bob...try removing the three (3) countersunk brass screws on the front and lifting off the plate....take another photo so we can see the motor better. You may just have to clean the gears underneath and oil...

Lets have a look........

26. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
    Bob...try removing the three (3) countersunk brass screws on the front and lifting off the plate....take another photo so we can see the motor better. You may just have to clean the gears underneath and oil...

Lets have a look........

27. bobgold

bobgold Guest

thank you for everyone's help. i'm at work today so can't photograph the movement/motor with the cover removed, but will do so tonite and post.

I did already make an purchase of a working hammond clock listed on ebay. the motor appears to be exactly like the one in mine (at least from viewing the back and questioning the seller about the size, but can't be sure until it arrives. if it's not a perfect match at least I'll have some parts to work with. I suspect that i'll have to swap the shaft that the hands mount.

if not, i think i'm moving in the right direction.

I especially appreciate the identification of the motor as a Hammond. I'm pretty sure that one was right on the money, even though there's no identifying marks on the motor itself. Again thank you so much for your guidance and help.

Bob

28. bobgold

bobgold Guest

thank you for everyone's help. i'm at work today so can't photograph the movement/motor with the cover removed, but will do so tonite and post.

I did already make an purchase of a working hammond clock listed on ebay. the motor appears to be exactly like the one in mine (at least from viewing the back and questioning the seller about the size, but can't be sure until it arrives. if it's not a perfect match at least I'll have some parts to work with. I suspect that i'll have to swap the shaft that the hands mount.

if not, i think i'm moving in the right direction.

I especially appreciate the identification of the motor as a Hammond. I'm pretty sure that one was right on the money, even though there's no identifying marks on the motor itself. Again thank you so much for your guidance and help.

Bob

29. bobgold

bobgold Guest

30. bobgold

bobgold Guest

31. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
    Well Bob...I think we expected a black gooey mess but it doesn't look bad at all....looks like you cut the wires to the coil...
    Did you power it up and check the field for magnetism? Are all the teeth on the fiber gear?
    Let us know how you make out with the new motor.

32. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
    Well Bob...I think we expected a black gooey mess but it doesn't look bad at all....looks like you cut the wires to the coil...
    Did you power it up and check the field for magnetism? Are all the teeth on the fiber gear?
    Let us know how you make out with the new motor.

33. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your motor really looks to be in fairly decent shape. If your new one is identical, you can swap them out without affecting the value. I'm thinking you can fix it though, and might have two old clocks in working order :)

34. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your motor really looks to be in fairly decent shape. If your new one is identical, you can swap them out without affecting the value. I'm thinking you can fix it though, and might have two old clocks in working order :)

35. bobgold

bobgold Guest

Plus I have my eye on another Hammond Clock on ebay, but don't know if that one works. Once i get the my new (old clock) from the seller and confirm that it works, I'll clean and reassemble.

How does one clean, recondition an old electric movement like this? What do you use to clean the gear assemblies with? What do you use to lubricate? I enjoy tinkering and am mechanically inclined. Seems like another fun project to take on at home. Who knows? Maybe I'll catch the electric clock collecting bug.

Bob

36. bobgold

bobgold Guest

Plus I have my eye on another Hammond Clock on ebay, but don't know if that one works. Once i get the my new (old clock) from the seller and confirm that it works, I'll clean and reassemble.

How does one clean, recondition an old electric movement like this? What do you use to clean the gear assemblies with? What do you use to lubricate? I enjoy tinkering and am mechanically inclined. Seems like another fun project to take on at home. Who knows? Maybe I'll catch the electric clock collecting bug.

Bob

37. bobgold

bobgold Guest

Yah, I cut the wires to the coil, perhaps too close. Is it possible to remove the coil, take it apart, without damaging it, and rewiring it?

38. bobgold

bobgold Guest

Yah, I cut the wires to the coil, perhaps too close. Is it possible to remove the coil, take it apart, without damaging it, and rewiring it?

39. bobgold

bobgold Guest

How do i identify the fiber gear you're talking about. I did notice one gear that's much darker in color than the others. Is that it?

40. bobgold

bobgold Guest

How do i identify the fiber gear you're talking about. I did notice one gear that's much darker in color than the others. Is that it?

41. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #41 Mike Phelan, Dec 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Hi Bob
    I clean electric clocks exactly like any others, excepting the the field coil. I use either white spirit (USA call it paint thinners, I think?) or petrol.
    If really dirty, ammoniated cleaner first.
    Lubricate pivots with turret clock oil, and clock oil on the rotor, unless it has sintered bronze bushes, than I use sewing machine or household oil that 'creeps'.
    If the first stage of fibre gearing is noisy, I put some thin grease on it. It will be the one you mention.
    You can put new leads on coil, but be careful; winding is about .001" wire or less!
    HTH

42. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #42 Mike Phelan, Dec 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Hi Bob
    I clean electric clocks exactly like any others, excepting the the field coil. I use either white spirit (USA call it paint thinners, I think?) or petrol.
    If really dirty, ammoniated cleaner first.
    Lubricate pivots with turret clock oil, and clock oil on the rotor, unless it has sintered bronze bushes, than I use sewing machine or household oil that 'creeps'.
    If the first stage of fibre gearing is noisy, I put some thin grease on it. It will be the one you mention.
    You can put new leads on coil, but be careful; winding is about .001" wire or less!
    HTH