Edinburgh fusee mainspring problem

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by klokwiz, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:34 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I think I have this sorted out but would like a confirmation since I am new to fusee clocks. The chain in this one will not wind far enough on to the fusee to contact the limiting arm to set it into place to end the wind.

I have let down the mainspring to check preset to see if it was too far mound causing spring to be used up. It was not, it was loose allowing the chain to sag at end of run. so it appears to me that this was issue for prior repairperson.

What is happening is at the end of the wind it is running out of spring. there appears to be chain enough to complete wind onto fusee, but the spring is tight in barrel. My assumption is the spring either broke and was shortened or replaced with one too short.

I will be verifying the chain length when I next take it apart, and will then inspect the spring in barrel.

posted photo shows chain at end of wind with spring pulled taught.

questions: 1) am I likely right about mainspring? 2) how much chain should be remaining on barrel at end of wind? 3) if I need a new spring where can I best source one? (since these are so different from most)

movmt back plate.jpg movmt frt.jpg movmt fusee and barrel.jpg movmt fusee ans barrel2.jpg movmt fusee1.jpg movmt1.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The fusee needs a little pre-wind, and it's possible that the former repairman went overboard with it. Unless the spring or chain is too short, as you suspect, that will be the issue. Let us see what you have when you take it apart.

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you are correct in that the spring broke and was repaired/shortened at some point.

There should be enough chain left after a fall mind so that it’s wrapped partially around the barrel enough to not pull on the hock

Replacement chains are somewhere around 90 bucks, whereas mainsprings are probably around 20 to 30… Timesavers

4. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If he let the mainspring all the way down before the end of his incomplete wind then the mainspring is too short... but yes indeed, open her up and see what there is to see! :cool:

5. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,

Yes that was first thing I did to see if too much spring was being used up. I set it to one turn as I have for my other fusee's and the wind is even shorter. pretty sure as you have said the spring was shortened.

Have you had good experience with the timesavers springs this size?

Joe

6. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just make sure they don't send you one made in India. Too many of those break prematurely.

7. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On my last one I popped a little more for the German one and was very pleased with the quality… Not that I’m an expert

8. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,

was the german one from timesavers? and if so does it state where made in their catalog?

Joe

9. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce,

thanks for that link, I have a devil of a time finding stuff on their site for some reason.

Joe

11. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    effing spell check... that should have been 'after a full wind' (and not 'fall mind'). :cool:

12. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's pretty funny, Bruce! I had to read it again because my mind read it correctly the first time! The mind is an amazing thing!

13. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

when i'm not at my desktop machine i sometimes dictate my responses into my iPhone or iPad for transcription convenience, but then get misheard words, oddly placed capitalizations, etc.

ah, computers. :cool: