Edgar Henn miniature

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
The micrometer might be nice, but I don't really use mine all that much. The calipers on the other hand are useful in all kinds of places. I own vintage motorcycles and it even helps me there. :)

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Yea, it would only be good for suspension springs, not really worth a $50 expense. Good on the bikes. I sold my '88 TourGlide, couldn't ride it anymore, having trouble with the Helix clone!

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Ok. I'v been thinking about polishing the fork tines. My fancy new calipers tell me these springs in this package marked .0024" are actually .0025", that's .0002" thicker than whats called for. In my mind, .0002" isn't a deal breaker, but maybe?
I always polish the fork and pin contact areas to a mirror smooth finish. Its a sliding contact point due to the two arc's the pin and fork make so smooth helps.

As Kurt was saying your run of the mill calipers lack the resolution for suspension springs but are just about a must have.

Wayne

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
The forks were cruddy and scored. Got them looking pretty good. Didn't think of the pin, next time. I'm getting close, it really wants to run, something dragging it down still.

I've had a dial caliper for many years, just doesn't come close to this new thing. I have a mic too, but again, doesn't come close to what's required. I think I'll pass on the new mic for nowI can use the $50 to buy another clock. I sure miss the flea markets and the $15 clocks. Maybe small ones will startup soon.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
It's been running an hour! WOOHOO! Just under 360 rotation. Sure would like to get 500, but I'm happy it's running. I'll just let it go for a day before I do anything else. Putting the motion works on it.....pretty traumatic.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I think I won this one. Put the dial and hands on, running great. Running real slow, as in minutes in a half hour. I have it set to the slowest (balls expanded), so I have a long way to go. But this thing is really slow.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Good job getting it going! Could try adjusting the pendulum to full fast to see if can be regulated.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Thanks Wayne, great satisfaction. The video of that Kern escapement helped a lot. Today I figured the entrance pallet was going to deep, so I raised it .007mm and off she went. I also polished the anchor pin while I was in there. I just went out to crank it up, it was only one minute slow, after a couple hours. I made a significant adjustment earlier, so maybe it's close. It did flutter at me once when I was messing with it, I hope it's not doing it in "secret".

Last edited:

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Good to know. I'm almost at the slow limit on the pendulum, but there's enough meat to get it regulated. Thanks for your help. I'm looking at a old battered clock now, so more challenges ahead. Some day I'll have to tackle that eccentric nut, looking forward to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosGraveyard
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller