Eclipse clock, Metropolitan Mfg Co, American Wringer

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by PatH, Mar 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There have been several posts about Eclipse clocks, Metropolitan Manufacturing and American Wringer Co. I just received this group of trade cards that may help tell the story. The first picture is the front of the 4 cards, the second is the reverse of each of those cards, and the third is the reverse of the card that shows the clock. (Excuse the lack of clarity, but my scanner doesn't work on this computer.)

The second group of images reveal that American Wringer Co was the successor to Metropolitan Manufacturing. Both the trade cards and the article show that the clocks were sold by canvassers/company representatives.

If anyone has additional information or pictures of clocks from these companies, it might be a good idea to add them to this thread. If you have already posted them, just add a link to the thread in a post here. Hopefully this will help others who might have questions about their clocks.

Pat

Eclipse products obverse.jpg Eclipse products reverse.jpg Eclipse clock.jpg

Attached Files:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 likes this.
  2. Floyd's Grandson

Floyd's Grandson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are a couple photos of an Eclipse clock that is posted in my local area for sale. I am considering snatching this one up! ;)

72142150_2531893046909904_4688228151027826688_n.jpg 71777775_2531895206909688_3702324434070142976_n.jpg

3. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting the picture! Do you know what name is on the dial or movement? It seems several different manufacturers made clocks for them.

4. Floyd's Grandson

Floyd's Grandson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't have that information as of yet, but I have contacted the seller in hopes to get it! I'll keep you posted...

PatH likes this.
  5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It's an Ingraham. I've seen this model before, and it has Ingraham's patent regulator; you can make out the thumbwheel on the dial below the twelve and above the hand shaft.

Floyd's Grandson and PatH like this.
  6. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for pointing that out. I thought that was a maker's name - never even thought of the thumbwheel. Every day we learn something new is a good day! Now to just remember it...:)

Floyd's Grandson likes this.
  7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The Eclipse Regulator by Welch, made for American Wringer.

Eclipse Regulator 2.jpg Eclipse Regulator Label.JPG Eclipse Regulator Movement 2.JPG

The Ingraham Eclipse Cabinet, missing the top of the label identifying the model.

Eclipse Cabinet.jpg Eclipse Cabinet Label 2.jpg

PatH likes this.