ebay rules discussion

4mula1fan

Sep 24, 2016
West Kentucky
Country
Region
Great. I was about to list a few solid gold watches, and big time wrist watches. Time to look elsewhere... What a load of caca.....

Tomxhar

Registered user.
Sep 2, 2019
Country
ok, "appears' that the press releasse from ebay may not have been sanctioned by the authenticar. the authenticator is known by all of us an stand up guy. not sure I can share it yet... stay tuned until tomorrow.. '
Come on sir, spill the beans! :p

Reactions: Hawk53

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Well I think the "cat is out of the bag" as it were. So it is well known now that it is Ron Stoll. Stoll is a above reproach and superior in every thing he does. Again ,please note that the initial press release from eBay was obviously a hurried effort and knowing Stoll like I do, (I have used his repair shop for challenging complicated watches before) there is not way he would put a watch in an ultrasonic.

eBay actually did something right here. Congrats are in order. They picked the right. man for the right job.

Jeff HEss

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
He was properly bought our of his distributorship by Carl F co. Something the Ball people should have done with me. :) ANd long before he had Carl F, he ran one of the most superior watch rapir facilities in the USA. Beyond reproach.

Douglas Romero

NAWCC Member
Nov 3, 2001
New England
Country
Many issues. Think most people will turn away from using EBay for sales of any wrists 2k and over. Stoll is certainly getting paid for his companies work to inspect? a watch. This is just a start. Pocket watches will be next after this effort works unless fails.

So they are a big repair outfit beyond reproach. So what. Still a problem laden process.

So say I want to sell my waterproof Rolex GMT or Daytona on EBay that may have been recently overhauled by Rolex certified dealer or Rolex NY. Or just sitting in my safe deposit box for years. Of course I would never use EBay for these if I had those. I double box it up securely and send it priority or next level using lock bags via USPS. Stoll has their process for logging it in and keeping my EBay sale separate from all other customer work they already undertake.

They visually inspect my Rolex. Then open case back and go over and verify movement and numbers inside case back and perhaps working condition or not depending on description. Do they then replace the gasket, reseal and retest for waterproof and certify before sending to the buyer. Oops no longer certification by Rolex? All this shipping (what is premium shipping) sure gonna take time with USPS issues. And UPS will gladly leave it with on front door if not signed for.

This effort by EBay could turn out to be a mess and sure even legit sales will plummet.

Other auction houses or ADs will get the majority of sales or trade ins on any decent wrists.

My quick view point on this new procedure. Yes caca.

geno55

Oct 25, 2007
Visit site
There also could be a timing issue, what happens if he gets swamped and can't handle the inflow, and getting watches out to the buyer in a timely fashion. Extra shipping, extra time and extra chances for scewups of all kinds. Geno

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
The fella will just work it out. He and his team are miracle workers. Always have been.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Jeff, maybe for a guy who wants his watch fixed, not for the guy who wants to sell it. There is no miracle here, just a money grubbing grab by Ebay. It should remain let the buyer beware. I don't think I would buy a Rolex or other high end watch off of Ebay anyway.

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Jeff, maybe for a guy who wants his watch fixed, not for the guy who wants to sell it. There is no miracle here, just a money grubbing grab by Ebay. It should remain let the buyer beware. I don't think I would buy a Rolex or other high end watch off of Ebay anyway.

To each his own. We buy 100's of watches each year on ebay and other on line auctions and we sell about 6 million per year on eBay and other online auctions.

Jeff

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
To each his own. We buy 100's of watches each year on ebay and other on line auctions and we sell about 6 million per year on eBay and other online auctions.

Jeff
Are all of these 2k and over in price?

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
"We buy 100's of watches each year on ebay and other on line auctions and we sell about 6 million per year on eBay and other online auctions."

Jeff

Nice youtube, but even from 6am to 11pm 17 hours a day how do you sell 6million watches in a year? That comes to 1000 watches per hour assuming you do this 365 days per year

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
"We buy 100's of watches each year on ebay and other on line auctions and we sell about 6 million per year on eBay and other online auctions."

Jeff

Nice youtube, but even from 6am to 11pm 17 hours a day how do you sell 6million watches in a year? That comes to 1000 watches per hour assuming you do this 365 days per year
-----------

6 million per year.. in dollars....(to be honest only about 65% are watches though)

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
eBay is listening! In the end this actually worked out. the authenticator is TOP TOP TOP notch and eBay revised their hasty first press release, leaving out the rediculous "ultrasonic bath" part (duh) and the confiscation part (double duh) and with some much-needed wording as to vintage originality, acknowledging that on a vintage watch a spring bar, staff or crystal or other parts no longer manufactured by a company does not make it inauthentic. KUDOS to eBay. Authenticity Guarantee | eBay.com

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
It looks to me like the authentification service is completely voluntary. If a seller has a watch valued at $2000 or more he can elect to offer the authentification service.

It could be seen by buyers as another level of protection available to them- one that not every seller offers.

Last edited:

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
All in all a good program. And they picked the right people so far. honorable knowledgeable people. But the confiscation thing is still worrisome. The wording needs work. If someone is knowingly traficin in fakes, modern bona fide fakes. then H&ll yes. But vintage sellers need to be wary of this wording about confiscation.

Jeff

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Still think it is BS on their part but I guess this is one way the seller can't send it back claiming it is a fake but as a seller I would still be suspicious about someone else handling something I sold for a lot of money for fear of accidental damage.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
All in all a good program. And they picked the right people so far. honorable knowledgeable people. But the confiscation thing is still worrisome. The wording needs work. If someone is knowingly traficin in fakes, modern bona fide fakes. then H&ll yes. But vintage sellers need to be wary of this wording about confiscation.

Jeff

Jeff,

Because you rely on eBay for your lively-hood and income, I don't believe you are a creditable source on this subject..;)

Reactions: musicguy and Hawk53

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Ok, so state your opinion. mine is that the wor confiscation thing is fraught with problems and likely to cause a lot of trouble.

Also, eBay has so went overboard on protecting buyers from fraudulent sellers that they have actually ENABLED fraudulent buyer scams.

Jeff

And fo the record, ebay is a small portion of our business. I won't discuss it further except to say that we have four retail stores, a watch distribution business and a retial watch botique as well.We alsh ohave large presence on Liveauctioners and Invaluable. We do some biz on eBay sure but all in all, it is immaterial.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Here is podcast with the Ebay guy in charge

Scottish Watches Podcast #182 : The New eBay Authenticity Guarantee with Head of Luxury Tirath Kamdar - Scottish Watches

Warning, for some reason these guys like to shoot the breeze and do it with gratuitous profanity. If this is offensive rather than annoying you may want to skip this podcast. They also have what I call mild Scots accents, which i do like.

I put up with it because they discus English and other micro brands many of which are new to me.

The segment with the eBay guy is long, and fairly clean as well as more intelligible than the prolog.

The guy makes a good case, assuming that it s truthful.

Note, as a moderator I edited this after Hawk53's response, My bad, I should have posted this warning.

Last edited:

Hawk53

Dec 19, 2013
California
Country
Region
I could have enjoyed it more if I could understand what they were saying.....my ears are bleeding.:(

The video at the bottom of the article was useless....

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
I'm looking at ebay tonight and I see many watches for far less than $2000 with the "authenticity guarantee" symbol. Some with a "buy it now" prices as low as $20. Did they give up on the $2000 threshold?

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
I'm looking at ebay tonight and I see many watches for far less than $2000 with the "authenticity guarantee" symbol. Some with a "buy it now" prices as low as $20. Did they give up on the $2000 threshold?
It must have been some kind of glitch. I'm looking again this morning, and the listings I saw last night with values less than $2000 no longer have the "authenticity guarantee" logo.

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
I am struggling to understand this and to find the authenticity logo.

As far as I know it does not exist on this side of the pond - is it US only? if it is I don't understand how it can be compulsory - not wishing to get into a discussion on its merit.

Wristwatches >$2000 are not really my interest, but I have just searched and found an Omega Seamaster listed for >$4000 on both ebay.com and ebay.co.uk. I cannot find anything about an authenticity guarantee.

John

Edit - on ebay.com ...

1606398794092.png

on ebay.co.uk

1606398860468.png

Last edited:

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
From what I saw on Ebay.com the authentication is based on watches from the U.S. When looking at the list I find that those from non-U.S. locations do not have the authentication symbol.

:???:

Van Der Watches

NAWCC Member
Jan 22, 2020
Country
This looks funny... Authenticity Guarantee from eBay. They authenticate not original watches, just check this:

item

Last edited:

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
"fusion of classic and modern" are called Marriage Watch, and have been popular among collectors and watch lovers for a long time." They must know a lot of collectors I don't know.....

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Did they actually authenticate that watch? I just see the authenticity guarantee above the sellers description.

DoughBoyWatches

Jan 5, 2021
Country
i think this is a double edged sword...It can work if you trying to buy a luxury watch, but hurt you if you sell a vintage watch...which is mostly what I sell if you see my site. WWI and WWII watches. how is this authenticator supposed to know if a watch from 1917 is fake or not....honestly people should start to consider etsy and chrono24....you can actually get much higher prices on those sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samways
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller