ebay rules discussion

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Aug 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan Registered User

Sep 24, 2016
    Male
    Retired local delivery driver
    West Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great. I was about to list a few solid gold watches, and big time wrist watches. Time to look elsewhere... What a load of caca.....

2. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Come on sir, spill the beans! :p

Hawk53 likes this.
  3. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Not Hodinkee, surely?

4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I think the "cat is out of the bag" as it were. So it is well known now that it is Ron Stoll. Stoll is a above reproach and superior in every thing he does. Again ,please note that the initial press release from eBay was obviously a hurried effort and knowing Stoll like I do, (I have used his repair shop for challenging complicated watches before) there is not way he would put a watch in an ultrasonic.

eBay actually did something right here. Congrats are in order. They picked the right. man for the right job.

Jeff HEss

5. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What could the swamp possibly offer the CEO of
    Carl F. Bucherer:???::confused:

6. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He was properly bought our of his distributorship by Carl F co. Something the Ball people should have done with me. :) ANd long before he had Carl F, he ran one of the most superior watch rapir facilities in the USA. Beyond reproach.

7. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    That is a weight off of anyone's mind, surely! :thumb:

8. Douglas Romero

Douglas Romero Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Male
    Retired IT consult
    New England
    Country Flag:
    Many issues. Think most people will turn away from using EBay for sales of any wrists 2k and over. Stoll is certainly getting paid for his companies work to inspect? a watch. This is just a start. Pocket watches will be next after this effort works unless fails.

So they are a big repair outfit beyond reproach. So what. Still a problem laden process.

So say I want to sell my waterproof Rolex GMT or Daytona on EBay that may have been recently overhauled by Rolex certified dealer or Rolex NY. Or just sitting in my safe deposit box for years. Of course I would never use EBay for these if I had those. I double box it up securely and send it priority or next level using lock bags via USPS. Stoll has their process for logging it in and keeping my EBay sale separate from all other customer work they already undertake.

They visually inspect my Rolex. Then open case back and go over and verify movement and numbers inside case back and perhaps working condition or not depending on description. Do they then replace the gasket, reseal and retest for waterproof and certify before sending to the buyer. Oops no longer certification by Rolex? All this shipping (what is premium shipping) sure gonna take time with USPS issues. And UPS will gladly leave it with on front door if not signed for.

This effort by EBay could turn out to be a mess and sure even legit sales will plummet.

Other auction houses or ADs will get the majority of sales or trade ins on any decent wrists.

My quick view point on this new procedure. Yes caca.

Tomxhar, Hawk53 and Jim DuBois like this.
  9. geno55

geno55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2007
    There also could be a timing issue, what happens if he gets swamped and can't handle the inflow, and getting watches out to the buyer in a timely fashion. Extra shipping, extra time and extra chances for scewups of all kinds. Geno

10. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The fella will just work it out. He and his team are miracle workers. Always have been.

11. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff, maybe for a guy who wants his watch fixed, not for the guy who wants to sell it. There is no miracle here, just a money grubbing grab by Ebay. It should remain let the buyer beware. I don't think I would buy a Rolex or other high end watch off of Ebay anyway.

12. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

To each his own. We buy 100's of watches each year on ebay and other on line auctions and we sell about 6 million per year on eBay and other online auctions.

Jeff

13. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Are all of these 2k and over in price?

14. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "We buy 100's of watches each year on ebay and other on line auctions and we sell about 6 million per year on eBay and other online auctions."

Jeff

Nice youtube, but even from 6am to 11pm 17 hours a day how do you sell 6million watches in a year? That comes to 1000 watches per hour assuming you do this 365 days per year

15. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe Jeff is speaking of the dollar amount.;)

16. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    -----------

6 million per year.. in dollars....(to be honest only about 65% are watches though)

17. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    eBay is listening! In the end this actually worked out. the authenticator is TOP TOP TOP notch and eBay revised their hasty first press release, leaving out the rediculous "ultrasonic bath" part (duh) and the confiscation part (double duh) and with some much-needed wording as to vintage originality, acknowledging that on a vintage watch a spring bar, staff or crystal or other parts no longer manufactured by a company does not make it inauthentic. KUDOS to eBay. Authenticity Guarantee | eBay.com

18. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Buying and Selling Watches
    USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #69 sderek, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    It looks to me like the authentification service is completely voluntary. If a seller has a watch valued at $2000 or more he can elect to offer the authentification service.

It could be seen by buyers as another level of protection available to them- one that not every seller offers.

19. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    not voluntary.

20. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Buying and Selling Watches
    USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The more I look into it- the more it looks like you're right- it's not voluntary. If it's valued at over $2000 and eBay determines it is "eligible" then the seller is required to send it in for authentification.

21. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All in all a good program. And they picked the right people so far. honorable knowledgeable people. But the confiscation thing is still worrisome. The wording needs work. If someone is knowingly traficin in fakes, modern bona fide fakes. then H&ll yes. But vintage sellers need to be wary of this wording about confiscation.

Jeff

22. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Still think it is BS on their part but I guess this is one way the seller can't send it back claiming it is a fake but as a seller I would still be suspicious about someone else handling something I sold for a lot of money for fear of accidental damage.

23. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hawk53 likes this.
  24. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Personally, I think it should be up to the buyer to request and pay for the authentication.

25. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Jeff,

Because you rely on eBay for your lively-hood and income, I don't believe you are a creditable source on this subject..;)

Hawk53 likes this.
  26. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, so state your opinion. mine is that the wor confiscation thing is fraught with problems and likely to cause a lot of trouble.

Also, eBay has so went overboard on protecting buyers from fraudulent sellers that they have actually ENABLED fraudulent buyer scams.

Jeff

And fo the record, ebay is a small portion of our business. I won't discuss it further except to say that we have four retail stores, a watch distribution business and a retial watch botique as well.We alsh ohave large presence on Liveauctioners and Invaluable. We do some biz on eBay sure but all in all, it is immaterial.

27. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #78 Dr. Jon, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Here is podcast with the Ebay guy in charge

Scottish Watches Podcast #182 : The New eBay Authenticity Guarantee with Head of Luxury Tirath Kamdar - Scottish Watches

Warning, for some reason these guys like to shoot the breeze and do it with gratuitous profanity. If this is offensive rather than annoying you may want to skip this podcast. They also have what I call mild Scots accents, which i do like.

I put up with it because they discus English and other micro brands many of which are new to me.

The segment with the eBay guy is long, and fairly clean as well as more intelligible than the prolog.

The guy makes a good case, assuming that it s truthful.

Note, as a moderator I edited this after Hawk53's response, My bad, I should have posted this warning.

28. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I could have enjoyed it more if I could understand what they were saying.....my ears are bleeding.:(

The video at the bottom of the article was useless....