eBay bidder verification?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Jerry Treiman, Jan 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tried to place a last second bid on a watch tonight. I entered my bid initially with about 45 seconds left and got a slightly different bid confirmation screen that did not include a time-remaining countdown. But I was watching my clock and with about 10 seconds remaining I hit the submit button. Up pops a screen with a list of instructions for receiving a call to my phone to verify my identity. I obviously had no time for any verification and the auction ended without my bid. It was a good thing that it was not an item I really lusted after.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? Is eBay trying to discourage sniping? I snipe manually, but what happens with sniping programs?

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I don't do a lot of last-minute sniping on eBay anymore, but if I had received a message like that, I would have run away from the auction post-haste. Such a message seems a bit too intrusive and suspicious and might make me seriously consider closing my eBay account.

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use auctionsniper.com, but to avoid issues with it I place a bid early on in the auction when the price is low using the conventional bid process. That way when Auctionsniper bid on my behalf it is recognised as me bidding.

4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Never seen that Jerry and I've been on ebay for many years.
    I would be so frustrated if it was a watch I wanted.

Rob

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I have never gotten that. Makes no sense if you were signed in.

My suggestion is to contact eBay and see if that was legit.

I wonder if you've been "hacked" and someone is trying to get info about you.

RM

6. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I would also think that if you needed verification after you
    have logged in it would say it in the auction description
    somewhere.

Rob

7. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use e-snipe mostly and had a similar message from them last month. Scared me at first but contacted support and found it's normal for them to make me verify my information every so often. Have had ebay do the same thing on occasions where I have not bid in a while or my cache/cookies have been cleared. Also ebay requires verification of my account once a year they try constantly to update my security information through wanting to text my phone. If your going to wait for the last minute bid I would log out and back in early to make sure your good to go.

8. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't bid till the last seconds myself(and I'm probably a hypocrite) but
    if these services become too popular and everyone only bids in the
    last 10 seconds or less, it hurts the concept of a real auction.
    I believe eBay should extend the sale time of an item if there is a flurry of bids
    in the last seconds(just like a live auction house would do). That
    would make it better for the sellers(maybe no more than 2 minutes).
    It's gotten worse over the years. I used to be
    able to start an auction at .99 cents knowing that it would reach it's
    market value. Now since everyone(including myself) bids at the last
    seconds, items sell for less than they would.
    Just musing

Rob

PatH likes this.
  9. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree wholeheartedly, but I simply got tired of being sniped at the last second on an auction that would end at a times when I was unavailable. Also if I place a market bid, some newb or shill would run it up and I lose any way. Goodwill also allows snipes and I lose a lot of auctions there. For my own reasons I refuse to snipe a charity auction. I think Ebay in the UK makes the bidding restart for 5 minutes if a bid is placed in the last few minutes. EBTH also does this.

10. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is no use in complaining about the rules because that is what they are, so either accept it or don't play their game.

I sell most of my items with a $1 start and in the last 3-4 seconds it gets most of the bids because most people don't have the time or patience to manually do the bidding.

I used Bidnapper.com and have for about 5 years and they have always come through in the last 4 seconds.

Like most of you, I am disappointed that I get out bid very often because I am too conservative in my bidding, and say to myself I should have bid more :banghead:

Freeloader likes this.
  11. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen a few instances of ebay suddenly not recognizing me as logged in and asking for me to log in. I just go back to the prior screen and click the link, again and it's fine.
    If memory serves, it's happened most when I view a cart and hit the pay button. A little window pops up asking for login info and, ironically, I can see my user ID in the larger window, behind the popup.

12. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Using a sniping service brings ebay back to what a real auction is like. In a real auction you have a very short time to bid, they usually run just a few seconds per lot, a minute or two at the most for anything but the most high end of lots.

13. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lots of systems these days are set up for two factor authentication. If I ran into what Jerry saw, I would check my browser settings and the site settings for security. Normally two factor is an option offered by the site. You can turn on two factor authentication here if you are concerned about someone masquerading as you. :)

Personally, I have ben using eSnipe for over 15 years and very rarely place a bid on eBay in any other way.

Jim DuBois likes this.
  14. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's when I tell myself that I don't know what their max was, and probably would never have outbid them anyway. That way I don't feel so bad.....usually.

15. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    We are just having a conversation not complaining:p:)

Rob

16. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 Chris Radano, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Yes, it has happened to me. But not when I am attempting to place a last-second bid. Sounds like Ebay is trying to verify your information to alleviate any security concerns, and to make Ebay appear proactive to address user security to it's users. I would think Ebay's request for verification depends on a number of user's log in attempts. You had unfortunate timing to prompt Ebay's verification request. But perhaps you still had ample time to place your bid if you had verified your information at the time it was requested. Maybe? Or, maybe not? So I believe Tom McIntyre is correct.

The last few years, I have hardly used Ebay USA at all for horological items, because it's really gone down hill. Which is really unfortunate, because I am thinking of selling a couple smaller clocks. I have used Ebay USA for household items, mostly "buy it now" and "make an offer". Sometimes Ebay is the best outlet for purchasing household items. Sometimes not.

I've been using Ebay Deutschland for clocks the last several years. I use Auction Sniper, so I can work without concern about timing to place bids. But there are some "heavy hitters" over there, so I don't end up with everything I attempt to win. Also a large percentage of items are not available for shipping to the USA.
    I've been using Ebay UK less, unless the item is eligible for the "global shipping program" , otherwise the shipping costs get too high. Have found some good stuff on Ebay France, too. Ebay is more relevant overseas for clocks than on the paltry USA site. The last clock I bought from a USA seller, was "make an offer", and the clock arrived broken.
    But that's the good part about having more clocks in my collection. I don't want any more, to the point I care too much if I get outbid. Oh, well.

17. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Get it sent to me Chris, I can send it on to the US :)

18. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I can find what I'm looking for, thanks for the offer! These days, I'm out of the "big ticket" market. Over the past 6 months, I had seen a couple hooded clocks sold very reasonably in the UK. Of course, then I run into the usual dilemma of misjudging what will sell reasonably, and what will draw high bids.

19. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought one just before Christmas at auction very cheaply, though the hood is a replacement. They usually go for around £300-£400 at auction.

20. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    That's just plain wrong :(

An Ebay auction ends at a soecific time. A "real" auction does not - it ends when no-one else wants to bid.

And by the way, most auctions average 80-100 lots per hour. That mens that practice some lots where there ar no bids, or maybe just one or two bids, are completed in less than 10 seconds, and some where there is heavy bidding may take as much as two minutes. Of course the pace is much slower when Sotheby's are selling a Van Gogh for $40million.

21. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's exactly what I said.

22. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Sure, but you tied that comment to the notion that sniping "brings Ebay back to what a real auction is like". And it doesn't :)

23. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

It's much closer to the real thing. I rarely attend auctions, almost never. I leave bids either with the auctioneer or The_Saleroom.com and while I agree this is not time limited unlike ebay it isn't really that different an experience.

Certainly a long way away from people pushing each other further and further over a week or ten days where inexperienced people often get carried away. If you auction snipe you are just left with the serious bidders, the same as leaving a commission bid at a real auction.