Early Waltham wristwatch. A PW conversion?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Roy Horrorlogic, Sep 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #1 Roy Horrorlogic, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    I have two of these, differing slightly only in the case. This one has a hinged back, the other a snap-on. The one shown I just completed a service on and bleached out the numerous hairline cracks in the dial. At present (6 hours on) it seems to be running well with plenty of balance amplitude. I haven't got round to looking up the serial number or even the cal. so I'd appreciate anyone who recognises it informing me. What's puzzling me is that it looks as though it must be a PW conversion however there are no witness marks on the case as far as I can tell. I've been working on a few early Walthams recently and setting aside the infuriating keyless work, they seem really robust for the period.
    Roy
    EDIT: S/no 17967327 appears to indicate 1910, which is about what I suspected.

Big-Waltham-9300001.JPG Big-Waltham-9300002.JPG Big-Waltham-9300004-2.JPG

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It started life as a ladies pendant watch but was likely made into a wrist watch in the mid teens when wrist watches started to come into vogue, especially after WWI. The case would have been new when the movement was installed.

3. Literustyfan

Literustyfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 22, 2010
    LRF Antique Watches, Watchmaker, Author
    Spring, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Who made the case?

Usually the larger size 6s trench watches are not seen with thin diameter lugs like yours.

For the most part they were made with 14mm - 16mm lugs depending on the case manufacturer.

However, some 6s trench watch cases made by the AWCCo or Fahys came with 10mm - 12mm lugs but these are rarely seen.

I'd love to see the inside of the case back if possible.

Thanks for sharing!

4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yep. need more info/pics

5. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Here's a snap of the case inside back. The "I.W.C." should raise a few eyebrows. The watch has been sitting in a box of "discards" for - at a guess - 20 years or so. I don't imagine anyone would be taken in by the crude engraving so it's a bit of a mystery. Not much else to go on. London stamp, no sponsor's initials (:???:), serial number and "t" for 1914/15. What else is required?
    Roy

Big-Waltham_case-030001.JPG Big-Waltham_case-030001-2.JPG

6. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Roy - You have I.W.C Co. which is the sponsor's mark for Illinois Watch Case Co. 64/65 Holborn Viaduct EC London being their UK address. As you say it has 't' and the London import mark for 1914/15. The sponsor's mark was registered on 11/12/1914 and was used until 6/9/1915. It was followed by I.W.C. CoLd on 16/9/1915

John

7. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks John!
    "I.W.C."
    The mark is so crudely stamped compared to all the other sponsors' marks I've seen that I assumed it might have been a primitive piece of misinformatsi.
    Roy

8. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    so...was Waltham making these or converting them this early?

9. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have a second example, identical movement, similar dial (lighter font), with an "A.W.C.Co." / logo / "Sterling" inside case back stamp. Pics if required. By now I'm interested know more about these - I'd assumed that around here you folks would have seen hundreds of them!
    Roy