Early self-winding watches and Perrelet

Philip Poniz

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2012
Princeton, NJ
I am researching the beginnings of the self-winding watches and am looking for early examples. I am looking also for any information (except published within the last few decades) about their inventor, Abraham-Louis Perrelet. He was spelled on occasion Abram-Louis, Perelet, Perlet, Breguet spelled him once Perrellet.

Center-rotor, PP, SM.jpg Among them a special place hold ones with center rotor (like on the enclosed photo).

So far, all known early center-weight watches without bumpers (all five of them!) are based on a fusee movement. However, a watchmaker with over forty years of experience told me that in 1973 he repaired a center-weight pocket watch without a fusee for a collector from NAWCC California Chapter 56. He recollects that the rotor wound the watch only in one direction, the other direction was idle, the watch had going barrel, the plates and the rotor were mercury gilded but not the wheels. I would love to find and to examine the watch.

Hope someone can help. Thank you.

Philip Poniz

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
watch this thread

Luckyday

Feb 24, 2021
Country
I am researching the beginnings of the self-winding watches and am looking for early examples. I am looking also for any information (except published within the last few decades) about their inventor, Abraham-Louis Perrelet. He was spelled on occasion Abram-Louis, Perelet, Perlet, Breguet spelled him once Perrellet.

View attachment 150382 Among them a special place hold ones with center rotor (like on the enclosed photo).

So far, all known early center-weight watches without bumpers (all five of them!) are based on a fusee movement. However, a watchmaker with over forty years of experience told me that in 1973 he repaired a center-weight pocket watch without a fusee for a collector from NAWCC California Chapter 56. He recollects that the rotor wound the watch only in one direction, the other direction was idle, the watch had going barrel, the plates and the rotor were mercury gilded but not the wheels. I would love to find and to examine the watch.

Hope someone can help. Thank you.

Philip Poniz
I am new to vintage watches. I saw your thread while researching this watch. Henry Louis Perrellet Locli. Thought I would pass along the pictures :) Funny, I don't understand most of what you said, but I enjoyed the information. Thanks

i4m2WY2yQ6OERNeAx1fn1A.jpg 0LQn41tDQxmEWD02vgkQlg.jpg

Philip Poniz

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2012
Princeton, NJ
Thank you! Perrelet was a relatively common name in Switzerland. Just in Le Locle there are 63 registered Perrelet watchmakers. Yours is from about 70 years later than the one connected with self-winding watches.

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
After extensive research by Joseph Florès (Jojo) it is now proven that it was Sarton who invented the automatic watch and its rotor.

Lots of reading for you in perspective and in French !
I would like to point out that Joseph Florès is known and recognized in the watchmaking world, he is among other things a member of AFAHA (Association Française des Amateurs d'Horlogerie Ancienne) and editor of its magazine.

histoire de la montre automatique à rotor

Débat : Sarton ou Perrelet ?

histoire de la montre automatique :récapitulatif

Perrelet - montres automatiques : affaire classée

Perrelet - Sarton a inventé la montre automatique et cela ne fait plus débat ...

Amicalement GG

Philip Poniz

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2012
Princeton, NJ
THANK YOU, GG FOR YOUR POST. I WILL ANSWER IN CAPS.

After extensive research by Joseph Florès (Jojo) it is now proven that it was Sarton who invented the automatic watch and its rotor.

JOSEPH DID REMARKABLE RESEARCH ON SARTON. YET, CONTRARY TO YOUR STATEMENT, IT HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN THAT SARTON WAS THE INVENTOR OF "AUTOMATIC WATCH". THE TIMETABLE, SHOWN IN ONE OF THE LINKS YOU PROVIDED, PROVES THIS. AT BEST, HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE INVENTOR OF THE CENTER ROTOR MECHANISM FOR THE SELF-WINDING WATCH. FURTHERMORE, IT WAS WITH A CLEAR APPLICATION TO FUSEE WATCHES. JOSEPH DISCOVERED THE PAPER, LATER HE FOUND A DRAWING. THERE ARE STILL QUESTION MARKS AND SOME CONTRADICTIONS.

Lots of reading for you in perspective and in French !
THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS AND REFRESHING MY MEMORY OF THOSE WRITINGS. THE NEWEST AND MOST COMPREHENSIVE IS WATKINS' BOOK ABOUT SELF WINDING WATCHES. Watkins Origins of Self-Winding Watches

I would like to point out that Joseph Florès is known and recognized in the watchmaking world, he is among other things a member of AFAHA (Association Française des Amateurs d'Horlogerie Ancienne) and editor of its magazine.

RIGHT. HE JUST TRANSLATED ONE OF MY ARTICLES FOR HIS JUNE ISSUE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wagons
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff