Early Schlenker & Kienzle?

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Hi Tatyana,

These are definately the same movements, originated from Johannes Schlenker firm (later Schlenker-Kienzle),
Look at the right (strike) barrel, see the cuted edge of the count wheel fitted right on the barrel gear? That was exactly what is D.R.Patent 28173 issued to Joh: Schlenker in 1884 is about. Please find the patend doc attached.

Best regards,
Oleg

Attachments

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
Oled, thanks for the reply!

The signature on the movement "GESETZLICH GESCHÃœTZT" ("protected by law") suggests that the clock released until August 14, 1884? After this date was used "D.R.PATENT 28173"?

Best regards, Tatyana

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Oled, thanks for the reply!

The signature on the movement "GESETZLICH GESCHÃœTZT" ("protected by law") suggests that the clock released until August 14, 1884? After this date was used "D.R.PATENT 28173"?

Best regards, Tatyana
It is quite possible the design had already been protected under the system available at the time that permitted registration of a design for a limited period, usually three years. When the patent was granted it was protected from the date of the patent application (February 26, 1884) for a period of 16 years if I recall correctly. There is also the possibility that the "Ges. Gesch." was for something else entirely.

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Greetings Tatyana,

thank you for this very interesting thread and your very good observations on Kienzle movements! They give us new insights in the development of the Johannes Schlenker/Schlenker & Kienzle factory in Schwenningen.

This movement 2598 has the lowest Kienzle serial number I have ever seen. As Oled has pointed out, Patent 28 173 proves that its made by operation Johannes Schlenker, renamed in 1885 as Schlenker & Kienzle. (Jakob Kienzle married 1883 a daughter and became partner in company Johannes Schlenker. He started to make movements with massive plates in autum of 1883 and so this movement well might be made 1884.)

Very interesting: This clock with its case in serpentine design is obviously designed for the Austrian market, not for the German market. And we know from the history of the company Johannes Schlenker (later Schlenker & Kienzle) that most of the clocks have been sold in Austria.

Thank you for sharing these interesting pics!

Best regards!

Albra

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
... This movement 2598 has the lowest Kienzle serial number I have ever seen...
Hi all!
Albra, thank you for reply!
I want to show pics of the movement with a great serial number for this stage (until 1890) of the company Schlenker & Kienzle.
This movement #78209 made for the company FJC.
Want to see more numbers, can anyone have such old movements?
BR, Tatyana
9.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Thank you Tatyana,

this is another early Schlenker & Kienzle. I would date it about 1886/87.

It was made for Fürderer, Jägler & Cie. in Lenzkirch, one of the biggest German clock retailers with several own clock stores in France, especially in Paris. (FJC became in 1900 owner of Lenzkirch)

I wan't to point out, that Jakob Kienzle most likely purchased some clockparts for these early movements. For example we know movement according Pat. 28 173 not only with Graham, but also with a French anchor.

Tatyana, thank you for sharing!

Albra

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller