Early Patek Philippe from 1850s number 8616

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by tgarnold, Jul 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tgarnold

tgarnold Registered User

Jun 14, 2012
    I just bought this pocket watch and have a few questions about it. I don't have any Patek Philippe literature and there is scant info on the internet. I believe this is authentic and pretty early. I haven't seen another with the same caliber. The watch is about 45mm in diameter. It appears to be decent quality, but not the quality expected in later years. Much of the inner case is worn off, but there is a G remaining and I've found another early Patek Philippe with what I think is the same case mark. Does anyone recognize the case mark? Would this date to some time in the early 1850s? Can anyone recommend someone to replace the crystal and hands and maybe fix the dial? Is it even possible to fix the dial without further damaging it?

2. tgarnold

tgarnold Registered User

Jun 14, 2012
    Also, does anyone know how to remove the stem? I assume you have to loosen one of the screws along the path of the stem, but I'm not sure which one or how far to loosen.

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Early Patek Philippe stems are tricky.

The safest way to to remove the winding bridge. It the one near the pendant. That way you can see how the stem is installed, Some stems snap to an inner stem and others don't.

It is standard Patek caliber with the subsidiary seconds away from 6 o'clock. It looks authentic to me.

4. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. tgarnold

tgarnold Registered User

Jun 14, 2012
    OK, then what way would be the easiest to get the dial off? I assume it is snapped on.

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It may be a snap on dial. If so there will be cut our on teh case under the removable bezel. Patek in these days booby trapped their watches to insure that ignorant repair people would wreck the watches.

After you remove the bridge you can take teh watch out of the case. Just leave teh stem in the case. From the photos do not so typical Swiss dial feet but but they may have used American style feet held in by screws from the edge. With teh movement out of the case look for these screws. I fyou find them the indicate where the dial feet are. Loosen these screws several turns and gently lift the dial. I fyou miss ascrew you will crack the dial.

If you do not find feet but instead find a rim and a few projections to support a pry tool it really is snap on dial.

7. pmwas

pmwas Registered User
    Donor

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now that's an odd place to put the seconds subdial! Adorable :)
    Seems so wrong at first sight ;)

8. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it is but they did that often in the early days.