Early Hauck

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by etmb61, Jun 2, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a nice early Hauck that just sold online (to someone else:(). It looks all original except for the dial. The number is 1298.

Eric

(Photos posted with the sellers permission.)

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      File size:
      62.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      File size:
      96.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  2. ddMbb

ddMbb Registered User

May 9, 2014
    Warrington, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    I was wondering how was this identified as a Hauck?
    i am always trying to improve my identification skills of back plates, and when i look it up in the 400 day guide book the closest match i see is Plate 1610 which is JUF, and the Bracket a No.5 Becker standard, so what am I Missing?
    Thanks
    Darius

3. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Darius,

Plate 1610 is correct for this clock, but the repair guide has it identified wrong. If you look at the arrangement of the pivot holes on plates 1610 and 1607 you'll see they are the same. Both are examples of Hauck clocks, and both are misidentified in the guide.

John Hubby has posted a list of the other Hauck plates in the "Post your Hauck" thread.

There are other characteristics of this clock that are unique to Hauck, such as the shapes and sizes pendulum gallery and the finials on the support columns.

Eric

4. ddMbb

ddMbb Registered User

May 9, 2014
    Warrington, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info i will read through the Hauck thread and pencil in the corrections in the 400 day Guide.
    cheers
    Darius

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric, thanks for posting. I also have some question regarding the dial as this is the only example of a Hauck in my data with this design. This clock was made near the end of 1903 based on the serial number, an early Hauck for sure.

6. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John,

Here is a closeup of the dial. It just don't look right.

Eric

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      File size:
      119.7 KB
      Views:
  7. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. I found only one maker who used a 2-1/4 inch diameter silvered dial with a convex chapter ring during this same period, namely GB. Here is a photo of one from late 1903, the same time this clock was made:
    1731996 Front.jpg This exact dial design was used by GB from early 1903 to the end of 1906. In early 1907 the same dial stamping was used but the numbers were an Art Nouveau style instead of the Text style Arabic, this style disappeared by 1909.

The one on the clock under discussion appears to me to be a GB dial stamping on which a decal or transfer was applied, and not very well at that. I have seen this Arabic number style in transfer catalogs some time back, don't know if they are still available. In any event I am noting it to be a replacement since there are no others (as yet) in my Hauck database.

8. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Eric and John
    I have a couple of points to note and I will also be interested to see Johns comments as well. Back in 2009 I Posted a picture of a Hauck with a silvered dial as well. It also has a similar moulded shape to it, but on looking at the photo again I realise that it is a larger diameter than the one being shown here. At the time I also thought that they were a little bit unusual or wrong, so for me to see this one it i is good to know that there were at least a few others done! It is on page 3 of the "post your hauck clocks here " thread, about halfway down in an entry under my name (DaveR). (sorry, I am not quite sure on inserting a link to an entry within the board itself)
    The other thing is that from what I have seen this clock has a GB base ?? All my Hauck clocks have a largish spreading base whose 2nd half finishes in a convex moulding, On my GB by comparison the second (lower) half of the base finishes in a vertical drop - as does this one here and also the one posted by John. So does this clock have the "wrong" base? I will be interested in your comments
    David

9. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, thanks for the query. First regarding the dial, I did not consider the 3-inch or larger size dials in my earlier posting, since Hauck, JUF, Kienzle, and Würth all four used silvered dials with convex chapters that were from 3 to 4 inches diameter. One of these days I might get around to listing the time period in which these appeared for each maker . .

Regarding the GB design base, not only did Hauck use that design starting in 1903 but so did Huber and JUF. Some may have been used in late 1902 just after GB introduced the design but I don't have any confirmation of that as yet.

The GB bases show up for Hauck from their first production in 1903 until about mid-1906. You indicate you have a Hauck with a GB base that may be later? What is the serial number/

Huber used the GB base for only one year, 1903.

JUF used the GB base from 1903 to about mid-1907 but for the most part used their own design starting in late 1902 and onward.

10. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John
    Thanks for your reply.
    I probably wasn't clear enough in the way I put it, but I don't have a Hauck with GB base. My interest and query was aroused when I saw Eric's clocks in this thread (Hauck with a GB base) and wondered if they had been substituted at some time or (as you have now cleared up) were actually original to the clock. Only having a GB base on a GB clock myself it was something that I wanted to find out.
    Thanks
    DAvid

11. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John,

I don't think I've seen a GB silver dial that was not engraved with the numbers, including your example.

Eric

12. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 John Hubby, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Eric, great observation. I checked what I have in inventory and confirm your observation, so we can eliminate a GB dial being used for this clock.

However, guess what? I have located another low serial number Hauck (2535, made in 1st quarter 1904) that is the twin of the clock being discussed except for the pendulum. Here are photos:
    2535 Front.jpg 2535 Dial.jpg 2535 Rear.jpg 2535 Mvmt Back.jpg 2535 Pend Side.jpg 2535 Pend Under.jpg 2535 Pend SN.jpg

I own this clock and it was put away temporarily to make space for others in my display so I had overlooked it. I was checking the GB silver dials in inventory when I came across it, the dial as can be seen is an original, in better condition than Eric's but exactly the same design including numbers that have been silkscreened or applied by another surface process.

The pendulum is similar to others used by Hauck, however the thin wall solid brass disc is more typical of JUF. Also, the serial number scribed in the disc is 52602, which is a JUF serial number from early 1st quarter 1907.

Conclusion . . it now appears that Hauck had their own silvered dial with convex chapters and large Arabic numbers. Only two examples so far, but I now expect to find more in future.