Early Eli Terry Pillar and Scroll Clock

Mark1rp6

May 21, 2014
Can someone please tell me if these are early original Pillar
and Clock hands.The hands are described as early cast pewter style hands. The hour hand is suppose to be the one with the extension end. When I look at other pillar and scroll clock hands the minute hand is the one that has the extension on it. The hands on this clock just do not look right . Would be great if anyone can advise.

Attachments

Last edited:

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Such hands were used by Terry and Seth Thomas on very early pillars and scrolls- without pictures of the label and movement it's hard to tell if they are correct. Reproduction hands in this style are occasionally available.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
The style of hand is consistent with earlier Eli Terry P&S clocks. This particular clock I owned for 40 years. It was missing the tail on the minute hand but it's point of attachment was still visible and had not been over painted at a later date. It was labeled "Eli Terry and Sons"

Attachments

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I apologize if this is a dumb question...but consider the source.

The case has a flat base moulding. It is my understanding this is called a "Bristol type" P&S case.

Did Eli Terry use that type of case for his P&S clocks?

Thanks for the info.

RM

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
I apologize if this is a dumb question...but consider the source.

The case has a flat base moulding. It is my understanding this is called a "Bristol type" P&S case.

Did Eli Terry use that type of case for his P&S clocks?

Thanks for the info.

RM
Good eye Bob, and a good point/question. I tend to associate the flat molding with later production clocks, but you are more correct in pointing out that Eli Terrys are usually in the stepped molding cases. As we know, never say never, but a quick look at some of my WW books shows the more complex molded cases on several Terry's. My quick search didn't show any flat molded Terry's. I also did a search of 100+ recent auctions that included Terry P&S. I didn't look at them all but of those I did look at they all had molded bases....that would invite a very close look at the subject clock to determine if it has always been in its current form.

Mark1rp6

May 21, 2014
Hi thanks for the information Jim . Do you not mean the tip of the Hour hand is broken off similar to the top photo of the early clock hands? To me these clock hands still do not look right and the pointer end should be on the minute hand only.

Mark1rp6

May 21, 2014
Hi Peter would you please have another look at the photos of the label and clock movement and let me know if the hands are correct. Thank you.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
here are photos of 2 variations of the hands, both said to be Eli Terry's by parties far more knowledgeable than me, much like on the subject clock. Evidently they were used with both a tail and no tail on the minute hand, or in the case of my clock the tail was lost. More importantly on the subject clock the real question is about why does it have the un-molded base? If you own the clock I recommend further investigation. If you are considering buying the clock, caution is advised.

Attachments

Mark1rp6

May 21, 2014
Hi Jim thanks for the information. I was considering buying the clock what do you mean by the un-molded base? Can you send me a photo of the correct molded base. Thanks again

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Hi Jim thanks for the information. I was considering buying the clock what do you mean by the un-molded base? Can you send me a photo of the correct molded base. Thanks again
In the photo in #4 response above the clock has the molded base. As RM has correctly pointed out the molded base is an Eli Terry feature on their P&S clocks. As stated I looked at maybe 25 photos of Eli Terry P&S's and all of them had the molded bases. Given the propensity of early clockmakers to wheel and deal it is possible the subject clock you asked about is 100% right with backboard, label, movement, dial, and case all original to each other. However, what has been indirectly suggested is as follows "it is not very likely that this clock is right". It may be a marriage of parts from more than one clock. It could be "right" as mentioned. Only close inspection by someone who really does knows these clocks could clarify the situation. The market today is very soft on P&S clocks. A really great near perfect example will bring 10 fold over what a clock with questions about it will bring. Since we cannot discuss values on this site, and this clock has questions about its make up, without a first hand inspection by a very knowledgeable party, it would not qualify to be a near perfect example to me. I would avoid it unless it sold for a parts clock price. Sorry for the bad news.

Mark1rp6

May 21, 2014
Jim thanks again. In the description of the clock it does mention that the bottom skirt and feet have been replaced . All other parts,glasses, movement ,dial are original but to be sure I would have to examine the clock closely in person. Jim I live in Toronto area, Ontario,Canada do you know where I can buy a good original example of a pillar and scroll clock? I don't want museum quality just a very good one for a reasonable price. Thanks again for all your responses to my thread.

Last edited:

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Jim thanks again. In the description of the clock it does mention that the bottom skirt and feet have been replaced . All other parts,glasses, movement ,dial are original but to be sure I would have to examine the clock closely in person. Jim I live in Toronto area, Ontario,Canada do you know where I can buy a good original example of a pillar and scroll clock? I don't want museum quality just a very good one for a reasonable price. Thanks again for all your responses to my thread.
Well, having a replaced base explains the "wrong" molding situation pretty well. Regards a person to deal with in your area of the world, I don't have any contacts in the Toronto area. Most everybody I know with inventory or access to P&S's are in the New England area, Boston, NJ, Rhode Island, and the like. Quite a number of P&S have gone through auctions recently, but not having inspected them myself, I can't speak to condition. Prices on several/many suggest they had problems or the market is even worse than I thought on these. We have a number of folks from your side of the boarder on this site who might be able to make suggestions on where to go to see some P&S clocks. Sooth, and Harold Bain both come to mind, as does Kevin West. You might try a PM to them and see if they have ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shamrock green
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff