E. Thayer 30 hour wooden movement needs bushings

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Kenneth Porter, Jun 10, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenneth Porter

Kenneth Porter Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    I've got a customer's E. Thayer 30 hour weight time and strike wooden movement (cir. 1830s).
    Initial examination showed some fungus on some of the wheels but I've brushed all that off. There may have been some graphite in the bushings.
    The winding arbors on the back plate need rebushed and some of the others are questionable. What is the right way to rebush a wooden movement? Are the pivots to be polished. I've only ever worked on brass.

2. John Teeter

John Teeter Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Jan 31, 2001
    Ken,
    Yes the pivots should be polished and you should also check to see if the pivots are running true as that is a usual fault with these movements. Before bushing, note that the pivot holes should be large enough to accomodate the probable out of round gears. They run much looser that brass movements. I use wood bushings made from Lignam Vitae wood which is dense and slightly oily. I make the bushings with a wall thickness of about .030" so as to not remove too much original wood from the plates. I locate the original pivot hole, sometime from the counterbore, and drill from inside the plate half way through the plate. This hole should be sized to provde a slight press fit for the bushing in the plate. I sometimes glue them in with a little hide glue.

Good Luck